newbie applet help

Soulblazer

Hello Javamen.

I am trying to install my first applet and am quite confused. The
applet I am trying to install is LEDSign v2.7. I downloaded the
package and opened the html page locally on my Win2003 IIS server as a
path (ex: d:\intranet\marquee\led.htm) and the applet worked like a
charm. Then I typed the url on the address bar
(http://localhost/marquee/led.htm) and got the page but with a
nonfunctional applet. I tried from a remote networked pc
(http://wwwserver/marquee/led.htm) and got the same error.

Here is the relevant portion of the html applet call:

<applet codebase="http://wwwserver/intranet/marquee" code="LED.class"
width=500 height=48>
<param name="script" value="./marquee/demo.led">
<param name="font" value="./marquee/default.font">
</applet>

Here is the relevant java source where the script path param is used:

scrpt = new String(getParameter("script"));
url = new URL(getDocumentBase(),scrpt);
file = url.openStream();

Now here is the error I get on the Java console:

----%<-- clip --%<---
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
http://wwwserver/Intranet/marquee/demo.led
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown
Source)
at java.net.URL.openStream(Unknown Source)
at Script.initScript(Script.java:631)
at Script.<init>(Script.java:78)
at LED.getinfo(LED.java:265)
at LED.run(LED.java:314)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
LED Sign Error - Bad script path in HTML:
File not found: "./marquee/demo.led"
----%<-- clip --%<---

All files are in "http://wwwserver/Intranet/marquee/"

In closing, the files do exist on the server on these paths, have user
read access, are web share enabled, all html files are accessible from
the same directories. The class DOES load and displays an otherwise
empty LED sign, with the IE browser status line showing "LED Sign Error
- Bad script path in HTML"

I hope this is enough information for some kind soul to see the error
of my ways. Any clues what might be happening?

Rhino

Soulblazer said:
Hello Javamen.
I think that should be "Java persons" or "Java gurus" or something like
that; there are _some_ women who write Java and use this newsgroup :)

[snip]