newbie help

justice

I have just bought a copy of "C++ PRIMER" 4 edition. and Into the first
chapter I have stubled upon a problem. I need to include Sales_item.h
but my I don't seem to have it. when I compile it says no such file or
directory. so my question would be where can I find it?
If it matters I am using linux (slackware 10) and the g++ compiler
I hope you can help me as I would very much like to program, as I used
to program in basic pretty well when I was 10 or so, but havent done any
coding since then and want to pick it up again.

TIA

v0id

You have to make it by your self.
I'm almost sure that Sales_item.h is in C++ Primer 4, so you just have
to find it, save it and use it.

Roland Pibinger

I have just bought a copy of "C++ PRIMER" 4 edition. and Into the first
chapter I have stubled upon a problem. ....
I hope you can help me as I would very much like to program, as I used
to program in basic pretty well when I was 10 or so, but havent done any
coding since then and want to pick it up again.

Despite the name, the "C++ Primer" is not a book for C++ beginners. It
is a good second or third C++ book. Try first to learn some C basics
(pointes, memory handling, ...) then(!) jump into C++ with a real
beginner book like Deitel & Deitel 'C++ How to program'. BTW, the
basics of any skill are best learned in a course where a real person
can directly answer your questions.

Good luck,
Roland Pibinger

justice

Roland said:
Despite the name, the "C++ Primer" is not a book for C++ beginners. It
is a good second or third C++ book. Try first to learn some C basics
(pointes, memory handling, ...) then(!) jump into C++ with a real
beginner book like Deitel & Deitel 'C++ How to program'. BTW, the
basics of any skill are best learned in a course where a real person
can directly answer your questions.

Good luck,
Roland Pibinger

I knew that when I bought it. I don't want to learn with my hand heald
throughout the book like alot of the beginers books do. I know that it
isn't going to be easy but hey I love challanges. I am a problem solver
and I found the answer to my question meer moments after posting the
first message. to note my first linux experience was building a
firewall/router for my home @ that point I had no clue of linux or
networking. now I have a firewall/roter/proxey/scaner supporting 2
subnets. so I think this book will do as long as this group can help me
with some questions along the way

Thank you all for your help and future guidence.

red floyd

The general consensus here (I could be wrong) is that doing that leads
to you having to "unlearn" C idiom to learn proper C++ idiom.

Speaking from experience -- I learned C in 1982 -- I did have a long
time when I had to unlearn C, partly because I learned C++ in the
prehistoric days (AT&T 2.0 spec) and therefore continued with C idiom.

By the way, a *very* good book for learning C++ is Koenig & Moo
"Accelerated C++".

Go to http://www.accu.org for more reviews of C++ books.

justice

red said:
The general consensus here (I could be wrong) is that doing that leads
to you having to "unlearn" C idiom to learn proper C++ idiom.

Speaking from experience -- I learned C in 1982 -- I did have a long
time when I had to unlearn C, partly because I learned C++ in the
prehistoric days (AT&T 2.0 spec) and therefore continued with C idiom.

By the way, a *very* good book for learning C++ is Koenig & Moo
"Accelerated C++".

Go to http://www.accu.org for more reviews of C++ books.
Thanks for the sugestion and site. But I am going to have to stick with
the book I got, as books arn't cheep but always a good b-day x-mas gift
ideas though. I agree with your statement of why learn c if I want to
learn C++, corect me if I'm wrong but are they not 2 seperate languages,
conected but still diffrent? Another question I have is there any good
groups more suited to my level?

Thanks for the responeses it makes me feel like I should have no problem
learning if people keep answering my questions, don't worrie I won't be
constint bother.

BobR

justice wrote in message ...
Thanks for the sugestion and site. But I am going to have to stick with
the book I got, as books arn't cheep but always a good b-day x-mas gift
ideas though. I agree with your statement of why learn c if I want to
learn C++, corect me if I'm wrong but are they not 2 seperate languages,
conected but still diffrent? Another question I have is there any good
groups more suited to my level?

Thanks for the responeses it makes me feel like I should have no problem
learning if people keep answering my questions, don't worrie I won't be
constint bother.

How about a book that will only cost a nickel or so (buy the hardcopy once
you're rich.<G>):
Get "Thinking in C++", 2nd ed. Volume 1 (and 2) by Bruce Eckel
(available for free here. You can buy it in hardcopy too.):
http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

And, do you know about?:
[more 'newbie' oriented, same friendly people. when you post, be sure to
state 'C' or 'C++'.]

alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:

Gavin Deane

Roland said:
Despite the name, the "C++ Primer" is not a book for C++ beginners. It
is a good second or third C++ book. Try first to learn some C basics
(pointes, memory handling, ...) then(!) jump into C++ with a real
beginner book like Deitel & Deitel 'C++ How to program'. BTW, the
basics of any skill are best learned in a course where a real person
can directly answer your questions.

Please stop telling beginners that they need to learn C in order to
learn C++. Those of us who already know C++ know that learning C to
learn C++ is at best unnecessary and at worst harmful. But a beginner
can not know this. Every time you make this statment, you are relying
on someone else in this group correcting you. One day, your
misinformation will pass uncorrected and any beginner who reads your
post will risk starting on a needlessly frustrating and overwhelming
route to learning C++.

It would be better for everybody if you stop it now.

Gavin Deane