Newbie:: HTTP request_get, how server side parses parameter and response?

Lauren

I have a simple server and client application. Client side uses
HTTP::request_get to contact server file "sum.rb", which takes
parameter a and b, return the sum a+b. Client side code is as:

url = "http://"+MYURL+"/sum.rb"
uri = URI.parse(url)
content = "?a=3&b=5"
http = Net::HTTP.start(uri.host, uri.port)
response = http.request_get(uri.path + content)
puts response.inspect
if (response.code[0,1] == "2" && response.body != "0")
puts response.body
end

Question: (maybe I used php too much)

1. How sever side parse the parameter a and b (in php, we can use
a=_GET['a']; b= _GET['b'] to retrieve content
2. How server side response to client (in php, we can use echo a+b;)?
But It seems that my response.body is always the sum.rb code instead
of the actual sum.

Lauren

Before my message goes down too much, I found some useful information
from the website: http://howtoforge.com/apache2-mod_ruby-with-ispconfig-2.2.20-and-above
Basically, I need to configure my apache server so that it will
execute ruby script instead of return the whole script back. I
followed the example and it works. So this solves my second question.

However, for my case, I still need to parse the parameter in the URL,
i.e. in http://www.mysite.com/sum.rb?a=3&b=5, how can server knows
a=3, b=5?

Thanks a lot

Lauren

Lauren

Before my message sinks, I found a website which provides some useful
information: http://howtoforge.com/apache2-mod_ruby-with-ispconfig-2.2.20-and-above
Essentially, I need to config my apache server so that it will
execute .rb as a script instead of cast the whole script. This answers
the second question.

However, I still cannot figure out how to parse the parameter on the
several side. That is, when client sends a http get request to
http://www.mysite.com/sum.rb?a=3&b=5, how can server (sum.rb) parses
the parameter and knows a=3, b=5.

Thanks a lot,

Lauren