Newbie needs help building project & loading/running an executable

angusyoung1000

I am interested looking at some java FFT source code & rebuilding some
files to get an executable. I have no experience with java but am
looking to come up to speed hopefully pretty quickly. The source code
(6 .java files zipped together) is that I'm interested in studying is
for an FFT analyzer found here:

http://www.dsptutor.freeuk.com/analyser/SA11.zip

from the website:

http://www.dsptutor.freeuk.com/analyser/SpectrumAnalyser.html

I've also downloaded NetBeans IDE 3.6.

So far I've created a project which includes the 6 files and done a
rebuild with no errors. How do I actually run the executable? Any help
will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Andrew Thompson

IE?
Alt V | C (view source)
Ctrl F (Find)
<applet
enter

The applet call in the page shows you how
to call the applet class.
So far I've created a project which includes the 6 files and done a
rebuild

More commonly referred to as compiling.
..with no errors. How do I actually run the executable?

Java programs are generally referred to as either
applets or applications, rather than 'executables'.

[ Follow-ups set to c.l.j.help. Please restrict
your posts to c.l.j.help for the moment, though
it is a good idea to read c.l.j.programmer ]

--
Andrew Thompson

Chris Smith

angusyoung1000 said:
I am interested looking at some java FFT source code & rebuilding some
files to get an executable. I have no experience with java but am
looking to come up to speed hopefully pretty quickly. The source code
(6 .java files zipped together) is that I'm interested in studying is
for an FFT analyzer found here:
So far I've created a project which includes the 6 files and done a
rebuild with no errors. How do I actually run the executable? Any help
will be appreciated.

The code you've downloaded is something called an "applet", and it is
not a stand-alone program. It's designed to be embedded into a web
page. For information on how to embed an applet into a web page, see
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/applet/index.html.

If you want this to run outside of a web page, then most of the code
will still be usable, but you'll need to write an application-style
entry point for it. Any introductory book on Java will be a good
reference for writing basic Java code.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation