Newbie to Java.

thil.1212

Hi all ,

I am new to java and I have 3 years of experience in ruby on rails(MVC), jQuery javaScript. To get started with java Enterprise application wat are all things I need to know and I really confused with J2EE , Spring , Struts.

And I started with spring but there also saying Java beans any fundamentals I need to aware. So could you please helps me links/tutorials to get start.

Thanks,
Senthil

Kenneth Miller

Hi all ,

I am new to java and I have 3 years of experience in ruby on rails(MVC), jQuery javaScript. To get started with java Enterprise application wat are all things I need to know and I really confused with J2EE , Spring , Struts.

And I started with spring but there also saying Java beans any fundamentals I need to aware. So could you please helps me links/tutorials to get start.

Thanks,

Senthil

Use google. You can't go wrong, you'll find tons of links. And Safari Books is a great service.

Tim Slattery

Hi all ,

I am new to java and I have 3 years of experience in ruby on rails(MVC),
jQuery javaScript. To get started with java Enterprise application wat are
all things I need to know and I really confused with J2EE , Spring , Struts.

Short answer: JEE is basically what you need to know. That's how a
Java web server talks to the apps. Spring and Struts are frameworks
built on top of JEE. Struts is no longer being developed (but can
still be useful).

markspace

To get started with java Enterprise
application wat are all things I need to know and I really confused
with J2EE , Spring , Struts.

And I started with spring but there also saying Java beans any
fundamentals I need to aware.

Here in Silicon Valley, this is sometimes referred to as "drinking from
the fire-hose." There's going to be a lot of information coming at you
really fast, and there's going to be more than you can possibly absorb.

You should start with plain JEE (note: the "2" is now passé). Unless
you've been told that you need to learn a framework like Struts or
Spring by your employer, start with just the JEE bits.

Also, I would personally recommend that you tackle Java by itself first,
then do JEE. JEE will make a lot more sense if you have the time to do
it that way.

Anyway, the basics for JEE can be got from "Head First Servlets & JSP"

<http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596516680.do>

This is designed to get you to pass the Sun Certified Web Component
Developer, which is the first certificate in their JEE series, iirc.
It's got a lot of stuff in it, some of which is legacy, but you really
should know all of it because you could find anything out in the field.

Once you get a handle on that, then some form of framework is in order.
I like the new stuff from Sun/Oracle, like JSF 2.0 and JPA 2.0 and
their new EJBs, but again you might have some other framework dictated
to you by employment needs.

Good luck.

Arne Vajhøj

I am new to java and I have 3 years of experience in ruby on
rails(MVC), jQuery javaScript. To get started with java Enterprise
application wat are all things I need to know and I really confused
with J2EE , Spring , Struts.

And I started with spring but there also saying Java beans any
fundamentals I need to aware. So could you please helps me
links/tutorials to get start.

You need to take some steps.

I will suggest:

1) Learn Java language and Java library (Java SE)
2) Learn base Java EE (servlet, JSP, JSTL, EL, JSF, JPA, JMS, EJB etc.)
3) Briefly look at some other relevant Java standards like portlets
and JCR
4) Look at very commonly used third party libraries (Spring, Hibernate,
JUnit, log4j etc.)
5) Learn the MVC framework you prefer (assuming that you don't want
JSF) maybe Spring MVC

For 1 & 2 you can always start with the official tutorials at Oracle.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Short answer: JEE is basically what you need to know. That's how a
Java web server talks to the apps. Spring and Struts are frameworks
built on top of JEE. Struts is no longer being developed (but can
still be useful).

Struts 2 is still being developed. Last release was 5 days ago.

Struts 1 is EOL.

Arne

Tim Slattery

Arne Vajhøj said:
Struts 2 is still being developed. Last release was 5 days ago.

True. It's so vastly different from original Struts that it didn't
even come to mind.
Struts 1 is EOL.

Unfortunately. I used it for many years.

senthil kumar

--

Tim Slattery

tim <at> risingdove <dot> com

Thanks @Tim Slattery for your response.

senthil kumar

You need to take some steps.

I will suggest:

1) Learn Java language and Java library (Java SE)

2) Learn base Java EE (servlet, JSP, JSTL, EL, JSF, JPA, JMS, EJB etc.)

3) Briefly look at some other relevant Java standards like portlets

and JCR

4) Look at very commonly used third party libraries (Spring, Hibernate,

JUnit, log4j etc.)

5) Learn the MVC framework you prefer (assuming that you don't want

JSF) maybe Spring MVC

For 1 & 2 you can always start with the official tutorials at Oracle.

Arne

Thanks Arne for your response.

Arne Vajhøj

True. It's so vastly different from original Struts that it didn't
even come to mind.

Unfortunately. I used it for many years.

I have used it as well.

And I must confess that I somewhat like it.

At least the style where a web app behaves like a web app and with a
clear separation between things.

I realize that the UX does not meet modern requirements and that it
was not so maintenance friendly because one often needed to change many
files for a given change.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

26.09.2013 15:49, Tim Slattery kirjoitti:

There is nothing unfortunate with that. Struts 1 could be pain when
trying to combine it with AJAX.

Yes.

But it was never intended for that role.

Arne