Newbie: XHTML vs XML/XSL/XSLT

WJ

I've been reading up on this for the last few days. I almost want to say
that XHTML and XML/XSL are the same thing, essentially.

I'm looking to re-vamp a website making it's content totally data driven
(not to dissimilar from my Yahoo and MSN portal type sites).

I'm thinking that separation of content and presentation will do much to
accomplish this.

I've read the tutorials on http://www.w3schools.com for both XHMTL and XSLT.
I've also read various links at
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts.

Some comment on all this is most welcome. FYI, the site I'm revamping
currently uses JSP (with traditional tables for layout), Java
Servlets/Classes in Tomcat (and other servlet containers) and SQL for data
sources.

Julian Reschke

WJ said:
I've been reading up on this for the last few days. I almost want to say
that XHTML and XML/XSL are the same thing, essentially.

XML is an extensible format.

XHTML is an XML-based format describing hypertext.

XSL is an XML-based format describing transformations of XML.

How can XHTML and XSL then be "the same thing, essentially"?

Andy Dingley

I almost want to say
that XHTML and XML/XSL are the same thing, essentially.

That's good, because if you _really_ wanted to say that, you'd be
talking rubbish.