News Group for CSS

SUDDN

Is there a better newsgroup to discuss CSS?

I'm having a problem with my style sheets not being seen if they're in a
separate directory from the document using them.

The server is a Mandrake 10.0 Linux box running Apache.
I'm testing with two different browsers on a Mandrake 10.0 Linux client:

1. Konqueror - No problems. It uses the style sheets.
2. Mozilla - Doesn't see the style sheets.

The directory structure on the server is:

/home/MyDirectory/public_html/ - contains index.html
/home/MyDirectory/public_html/styles/ - contains my style sheets

My html document has the following:

<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="./styles/portal.css">
<TITLE>Stellar Portal</TITLE>
</head>
..
..
..

If I move my style sheet into /home/MyDirectory/public_html/ then both
browsers use it but I want to organize my website into directories.

Thanks.

Geoff Ball

comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets is good.
The directory structure on the server is:

/home/MyDirectory/public_html/ - contains index.html
/home/MyDirectory/public_html/styles/ - contains my style sheets

My html document has the following:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="./styles/portal.css">

Try adding type="text/css". If that doesn't work, try an absolute directory
reference (href="http://www.yoursite.tld/styles/portal.css").

Regards,
Geoff

Richard

SUDDN said:
Is there a better newsgroup to discuss CSS?
I'm having a problem with my style sheets not being seen if they're in a
separate directory from the document using them.
The server is a Mandrake 10.0 Linux box running Apache.
I'm testing with two different browsers on a Mandrake 10.0 Linux client:
1. Konqueror - No problems. It uses the style sheets.
2. Mozilla - Doesn't see the style sheets.
The directory structure on the server is:
/home/MyDirectory/public_html/ - contains index.html
/home/MyDirectory/public_html/styles/ - contains my style sheets
My html document has the following:
<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="./styles/portal.css">
<TITLE>Stellar Portal</TITLE>
</head>
.
.
.
If I move my style sheet into /home/MyDirectory/public_html/ then both
browsers use it but I want to organize my website into directories.

Try not using the dot before the first /.
or simply replace with it with http://uselessname.com/styles/filename.css

Blinky the Shark

SUDDN said:
Is there a better newsgroup to discuss CSS?
I'm having a problem with my style sheets not being seen if they're in a
separate directory from the document using them.
The server is a Mandrake 10.0 Linux box running Apache.
I'm testing with two different browsers on a Mandrake 10.0 Linux client:
1. Konqueror - No problems. It uses the style sheets.
2. Mozilla - Doesn't see the style sheets.
The directory structure on the server is:
/home/MyDirectory/public_html/ - contains index.html
/home/MyDirectory/public_html/styles/ - contains my style sheets
My html document has the following:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="./styles/portal.css">

Try (for HTML files in public_html): styles/portal.css

Toby A Inkster

SUDDN said:
1. Konqueror - No problems. It uses the style sheets.
2. Mozilla - Doesn't see the style sheets.

Possibly a MIME type problem. Post a URL and we can check.

Whitecrest

The server is a Mandrake 10.0 Linux box running Apache.
I'm testing with two different browsers on a Mandrake 10.0 Linux client:
1. Konqueror - No problems. It uses the style sheets.
2. Mozilla - Doesn't see the style sheets.

Don't you test on the browser that most (80-90%) of the people use?

SUDDN

Whitecrest said:
Don't you test on the browser that most (80-90%) of the people use?

If you are talking about IE, I don't run Windows. If Microsoft wants to
support a Linux version of IE then I'll test with their product as well.

I believe that if I create my website using open standards, compliant
browsers will not have problems. The browsers that don't comply with true
open standards as defined by the W3C will not be supported by my site.

Ryan Lange

Is there a better newsgroup to discuss CSS?

There's netscape.public.dev.css, which is the most active one I've found
on my ISP (Comcast), and it's not nearly as active as this newsgroup.
/home/MyDirectory/public_html/ - contains index.html
/home/MyDirectory/public_html/styles/ - contains my style sheets

My html document has the following:

<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="./styles/portal.css">
<TITLE>Stellar Portal</TITLE>
</head>
.
.
.

Have you tried removing the leading period, and just use
"/styles/portal.css", or even just "styles/portal.css"? The former option,
I believe, would be more portable (will work if index.html is in any
directory).

- Ryan

Whitecrest

If you are talking about IE, I don't run Windows.

But everyone (80-90%) else does.
If Microsoft wants to
support a Linux version of IE then I'll test with their product as well.

Why would they want to do that, when they already own the desktop?

brucie

in post: <
But everyone (80-90%) else does.

i wish you would stop saying that. its really depressing to be
continually reminded how many stupid people are on the internet.

Whitecrest

i wish you would stop saying that. its really depressing to be
continually reminded how many stupid people are on the internet.

I totally agree with you. But much like stupid pornography laws, it is
something we just have to deal with.....

brucie

in post: <
I totally agree with you.

ok, what do you want?
But much like stupid pornography laws,

there are laws?
it is something we just have to deal with.....

or another way to look at it is people can use as much old and crappy
software on their own computer as they like but when they go online its
unreasonable for them to expect everyone else to use the same old crappy
software or to support it.

Whitecrest

or another way to look at it is people can use as much old and crappy
software on their own computer as they like but when they go online its
unreasonable for them to expect everyone else to use the same old crappy
software or to support it.

Wait a second... I constantly here here that you have to support
EVERYTHING someone browses the web with...

Sadly, that includes ka-ka-pu-pu [polite way of saying shity] IE, and
NN4.

SUDDN

Whitecrest said:
or another way to look at it is people can use as much old and crappy
software on their own computer as they like but when they go online its
unreasonable for them to expect everyone else to use the same old crappy
software or to support it.

Wait a second... I constantly here here that you have to support
EVERYTHING someone browses the web with...

Sadly, that includes ka-ka-pu-pu [polite way of saying shity] IE, and
NN4.

But the way to force compliance with W3C standards is to simply NOT support
anything else. I agree that Microsoft owns 90% of the desktops. I just
don't care.

rf

But the way to force compliance with W3C standards is to simply NOT support
anything else. I agree that Microsoft owns 90% of the desktops. I just
don't care.

You are not using your site to actually, er, sell anything then ?

Cheers
Richard.

brucie

in post: <
Whitecrest said:
Wait a second... I constantly here here that you have to support
EVERYTHING someone browses the web with...

vanilla html has reasonable support.
Sadly, that includes ka-ka-pu-pu [polite way of saying shity] IE, and
NN4.

the longer you support them the longer they'll be used.

Big Bill

in post: <

i wish you would stop saying that. its really depressing to be
continually reminded how many stupid people are on the internet.

We need to be reminded. Those stupid people are our market.

BB

Whitecrest

Sadly, that includes ka-ka-pu-pu [polite way of saying shity] IE, and
NN4.
But the way to force compliance with W3C standards is to simply NOT support
anything else.

Yea, that will work...
I agree that Microsoft owns 90% of the desktops. I just
don't care.

Please repeat that with this:

I know 15% of the people have javascript turned of, but I don't care....

Whitecrest

Wait a second... I constantly here here that you have to support
EVERYTHING someone browses the web with...
vanilla html has reasonable support.
Sadly, that includes ka-ka-pu-pu [polite way of saying shity] IE, and
NN4.
the longer you support them the longer they'll be used.

Yea, thats reality....