newsbie if-then-else question

Barton

Hello,

I just made to move to ASP. I have been developing in PHP the past two
years. I must say that I'm a little disappointed in the quality of the
beginners tutorials. They don't go further then teaching

<% Response.Write("Hello World") %>

I also lack an official website with all ASP commands explained, like
you have php.net for PHP.

Anyway, here I go, this piece of code contains a bug:

If (lang2 = "DUT" OR lang2 = "dut" OR lang2 = "NL" OR lang2 = "nl")
Then (
left = "column_left_nl.html"
top = "top_nl.html"
)
Else if (lang2 = "FRE" OR lang2 = "fre" OR lang2 = "FR" OR
lang2 = "fr") Then (
left = "column_left_fr.html"
top = "top_fr.html"
)
Else if (lang2 = "ENG" OR lang2 = "eng") Then (
left = "column_left_eng.html"
top = "top_eng.html"
)
End If

There is no tutorial that explains me whether to use brackets or not
and which kind of brackets I should use. So, do I need all these
brackets?

And why is:

lang = "DUT"

a declaration, and a couple lines further a comparison?
I'm really confused, please help me out.

Greetz,

Barton

Frank Drebin

You might be happier... much happier, with C#. It's a much more
specific/hard-lined language where there aren't as many assumptions, like in
VB. With ASP.NET, you can write your app in any CLR-compliant language
(VB.NET, C#, J#,managed C++?).. here's that code in C#:

if (lang2 == "DUT" || lang2 == "dut" || lang2 == "NL" || lang2 == "nl")
{
left = "column_left_nl.html";
top = "top_nl.html";
}
elseif (lang2 == "FRE" || lang2 == "fre" || lang2 == "FR" || lang2 == "fr")
{
left = "column_left_fr.html";
top = "top_fr.html";
}
elseif (lang2 == "ENG"
|| lang2 == "eng")
{
left = "column_left_eng.html";
top = "top_eng.html";
}

There are no assumptions. = is for assignment, == is for comparison..
semi-colons terminate a line, etc, etc...

Barton

I'm not impressed with the Tutorials. They are too basic! And they
don't tell anything about the brackets, about ISSET commands etc.

Greetz,

Barton

Barton

Well, this sounds much more familiar to me!
I'm used to "=" and "==" and also the ";" for ending lines.

But does this C# run at every normal ISS server?

Greetz,

Barton

Severin

I would write the code as such

If lang2.ToUpper = "DUT" OR lang2.ToUpper = "NL" Then
left = "column_left_nl.html"
top = "top_nl.html"
ElseIf lang2.ToUpper = "FRE" OR lang2.ToUpper = "FR" Then
left = "column_left_fr.html"
top = "top_fr.html"
ElseIf lang2.ToUpper = "ENG" Then
left = "column_left_eng.html"
top = "top_eng.html"
End If

This is very readable to me, but then I learned .NET using VB not C#

Severin

Barton

I get the error: Object required: 'DUT'

Seems I first need to make an object of DUT?
How do I do this?

Greetz,

Barton

S. Justin Gengo

Severin,

A Select Case statement might be more readable.

Select Case lang2.ToUpper
Case "DUT", "NL"
left = "column_left_nl.html"
top = "top_nl.html"