Non IE equivalent to IE's data

Andrew Poulos

A friend of mine has built as simple site for use on his company's
intranet. It uses JavaScript to read comma-delimited information from a
text file and displays it in tabular form.

When I looked at the source there is js like this:

function forwardClick() {
if (sitelist.recordset.AbsolutePosition !=
sitelist.recordset.RecordCount) {
sitelist.recordset.moveNext();
} else {
alert("You are already at the last record in the database.");

and HTML like this:

<OBJECT id="sitelist"
classid="clsid:333C7BC4-460F-11D0-BC04-0080C7055A83" border="0"
width="0" height="0">
<PARAM name="DataURL" value="sites.txt">
<PARAM name="UseHeader" value="True">
</OBJECT>

Obviously it's a Windows and IE only thing but is there an equivalent
for non-IE browsers and/or non-Windows OS?

Andrew Poulos

VK

Andrew said:
[...]

This is Microsoft Data Binding
(<http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/databind/data_binding_node_entry.asp>).
No, nothing similar yet in other rivals, but I guess they will have to
implement it - that may be this year event, like IXMLHTTPRequest was
the event of the last year. W3C already has reserved all needed tag
names and attributes in DTD's for several years.
btw Data Binding allows delegated cross-domain access (by indicating in
the data header string what domains besides the original one are
allowed to access the data)

To be fair XML/XSLT/XPath combined *do* give you some half-a**
emulation of data binding. But it's overly complicated plus lacking
many key features (like autopopulating of form elements,
zero-maintenance table sorting / record filtering etc.)

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <43c5c3a2$0$12583$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au>, dated Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:49:49 local, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript said:
Obviously it's a Windows and IE only thing but is there an equivalent
for non-IE browsers and/or non-Windows OS?

A non-equivalent workround could be to have a textarea into which the
file contents could be pasted, and to read that. Inversely for output.

Not as good; but could be better than nothing.