Non virtual and inheritance

Sensei

I was philosophizing on inheritance in C++, and I was wondering this.
Bear with me, as this is something more of a philosophy/history, rather
than a technical one.

What would be a use case for non virtual members in a class hierarchy?

class Base
{
public:
virtual void hello() { std::cout << "Base" << std::endl; }:
}

class Derived : public Base
{
public:
virtual void hello() { std::cout << "Derived" << std::endl; }:
}

Virtual allows me to use a Base class, and yet call the right function
hello().

Base *b = new Base;
Base *d = new Derived;
b->hello();
d->hello();

Now, if I let virtual out from Base and Derived, I will "slice" the
derived class, and d->hello() will print, "Base".

Why is a member function non-virtual by default, even from an
historically accurate point of view?

From a user point of view, the "slicing" is an "error", or an
unexpected behavior, to say the least. Having a base class pointer is
useful, and it will call the right derived class when needed.

Not only that, but choosing non-virtual as the default behavior, means
that virtual is quite "extravagant", and therefore needs to be added by
hand. But, at least in my experience, virtual is a given, and
non-virtual is the exception.

I'd really like to understand the rationale behind this choice, with a
use case that makes sense from an operational point of view, and not
just as an academic exercise.

This question bugged me when I tried to make only Derived non-virtual,
and subclassing it.

class Base
{
public:
virtual void hello() { std::cout << "Base" << std::endl; };
};

class Derived : public Base
{
public:
void hello() { std::cout << "Derived" << std::endl; };
};

class Last : public Derived
{
public:
void hello() { std::cout << "Last" << std::endl; };
};

At least on my system (Apple clang version 4.1 x86_64-apple-darwin12.2.0
Thread model: posix), it seems that "virtual" survives:

Base *b = new Base;
Base *d = new Derived;
Base *l = new Last;
b->hello();
d->hello();
l->hello();

% clang++ a.cpp && ./a.out
clang++ a.cpp && ./a.out
Base
Derived
Last

Is this the correct behavior? Why is this?

Thanks!!

Nobody

Why is a member function non-virtual by default, even from an historically
accurate point of view?

Virtual calls are more computationally expensive, and the presence of any
virtual methods make the class a non-POD type. Virtual calls are pointless
if the class isn't intended to be derived from (as most STL containers
aren't).

Rui Maciel

Sensei said:
[...]

See the answer provided by Nobody.

From a user point of view, the "slicing" is an "error", or an
unexpected behavior, to say the least. Having a base class pointer is
useful, and it will call the right derived class when needed.

No. It may go against your perception of how virtual functions work, but it
is far from an error. If you define void Base::hello() and when you call
the member function hello() of an object of type Base , you cannot be
surprized if, by doing so, you end up calling void Base::hello(). The
program is running exactly as you set it to run.

Not only that, but choosing non-virtual as the default behavior, means
that virtual is quite "extravagant", and therefore needs to be added by
hand. But, at least in my experience, virtual is a given, and
non-virtual is the exception.

Then declare the member functions of your base class as virtual. If you
declare a virtual member function in a base class then whenever you define
the same member function in a derived class, that member function will be
virtual whether you explicitly define it as virtual or not.

I'd really like to understand the rationale behind this choice, with a
use case that makes sense from an operational point of view, and not
just as an academic exercise.

<source lang="cpp">
#include <iostream>

struct Base
{
void foo() { }
};

struct DerivedA: public Base
{
virtual void foo() { }
};

struct DerivedB: public Base
{
void foo() { }
};

int main(void)
{
using namespace std;
cout << "Base size: " << sizeof(Base) << "\n";
cout << "DerivedA size: " << sizeof(DerivedA) << "\n";
cout << "DerivedB size: " << sizeof(DerivedB) << endl;
return 0;
}
</source>

<shell>
rui@kubuntu:tmp$ g++ main.c++
rui@kubuntu:tmp$ ./a.out
Base size: 1
DerivedA size: 8
DerivedB size: 1
[...]

Yes. You've declared Base::hello() as virtual. Hence, every* time you
declare that member function in a class that directly or indirectly derives
from Base, the member function defined in the derived class will also be
virtual.

Rui Maciel

* The "every time" bit may not be entirely correct in C++11, with the
introduction of "final" and "override". Someone please chime in to clarify
this bit.

Luca Risolia

I was philosophizing on inheritance in C++, and I was wondering this.
Bear with me, as this is something more of a philosophy/history, rather
than a technical one.

Note that C++11 introduces virtual specifiers: new, final,explicit,
override to make the kind of inheritance more clear.

Juha Nieminen

Nobody said:
Virtual calls are more computationally expensive

Actually if you actually measure the speed difference between calling
a regular (non-inlined) function and a virtual function, the difference
is barely measurable, if not inexistent. Yes, there's an additional
indirection step, but its impact on the overall speed of the function
call is quite minimal (especially if the function takes parameters and
does something that takes many clock cycles).

In short: If you are avoiding virtual functions because you fear that
your program will become slower, then you are worrying for nothing.

The actual problem with virtual functions (which is only a problem in
certain cases) is that a class having virtual functions will be larger
(typically by a pointer) than a class with no virtual functions. In
most cases this doesn't matter, but if you are super-tightly optimizing
the memory usage of a very small class, that size increase can be crucial.
(If eg. your class only has eg. an integral as a member, making any of the
functions virtual will double the size of the class.)

(Virtuality may also impede or reduce the effectiveness of function
inlining, but that's also something that is relevant only in certain
cases.)

This overhead is useless if you don't need virtual functions for anything.

Juha Nieminen

Sensei said:
Why is a member function non-virtual by default, even from an
historically accurate point of view?

The design principle of C++ has always been "you don't pay for what
you don't use."

A class having virtual functions is larger than a class with no virtual
functions, and in some cases that might matter. (Also, virtuality may
impede or reduce the effectiveness of function inlining.)

Nobody

Actually if you actually measure the speed difference between calling
a regular (non-inlined) function and a virtual function, the difference
is barely measurable, if not inexistent. Yes, there's an additional
indirection step, but its impact on the overall speed of the function
call is quite minimal (especially if the function takes parameters and
does something that takes many clock cycles).

It wasn't always thus. CPUs were rather more naive when C++ was originally
designed. But the biggest issue is that virtual typically inhibits
inlining, which has an impact far beyond the cost of a function call.
In short: If you are avoiding virtual functions because you fear that
your program will become slower, then you are worrying for nothing.

The actual problem with virtual functions (which is only a problem in
certain cases) is that a class having virtual functions will be larger
(typically by a pointer) than a class with no virtual functions.

If the vptr is a problem, it isn't usually due to the size, but to making
the type non-POD. E.g. being unable to pass such objects between processes
using shared memory, or efficient I/O via mmap(), or making the memory
layout conform to a pre-defined format.

Juha Nieminen

Nobody said:
If the vptr is a problem, it isn't usually due to the size, but to making
the type non-POD.

It depends on the application, but it often is a question of size.
If you need to optimize the size of a class (usually because you need
to make millions of instantiations, and you need for them to be as fast
as possible and take as little memory as possible), even one additional
pointer may significantly increase memory usage.

I'd say the size issue is (at least in my experience) significantly
more prevalent than the non-POD issue.