Numeric and output args for logical comparison ufuncs

Jeremy Biddle

hi, I haven't been able to resolve this problem, the docs were not
explicit enough and a search hasn't yielded a resolution so I'm
posting for some help.

I'm using Numeric to do some array calculations on Int8 arrays, but
the results of the logical comparison ufuncs return 32-bit ints and so
are incompatible with my data set. (btw, I'm using pygame so I can't
move to numarray -- not sure whether that would solve the problem
anyway...)

Here's an illustration of the problem --
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: return array has incorrect type

I know I can do this:....but I want to do an in-place operation (using output args) to save
time and space.

Is there any way to tell the ufunc to use Int8s instead of Int32s (or
64s or whatever)??

Thanks,
Jeremy