Numpy now supports Python3, Scipy to follow soon

Steven D'Aprano

Pardon me if this has already been mentioned, but I didn't see it, and
this is big big news.

The latest release of numpy now supports Python 2.x and 3.x out of a
single code base, and Scipy is predicted to follow soon.

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg26524.html

If I can take the liberty of quoting Pauli Virtanen:

An important point is that supporting Python 3 and Python 2
in the same code base can be done, and it is not very difficult
either. It is also much preferable from the maintenance POV to
creating separate branches for Python 2 and 3.

Well done to all those who contributed to the effort!

Terry Reedy

Pardon me if this has already been mentioned, but I didn't see it, and
this is big big news.

The latest release of numpy now supports Python 2.x and 3.x out of a
single code base, and Scipy is predicted to follow soon.

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg26524.html

If I can take the liberty of quoting Pauli Virtanen:

An important point is that supporting Python 3 and Python 2
in the same code base can be done, and it is not very difficult
either. It is also much preferable from the maintenance POV to
creating separate branches for Python 2 and 3.

Well done to all those who contributed to the effort!

There are extensive notes on the transition at
http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/browser/trunk/doc/Py3K.txt

I am sure that some of this should be added to the current HowTo on
porting CAPI to Py3.