Obfuscators and jar files

javadev

I have created a jar file which works well and I wish to obfuscate this
file. I tried 2 obfuscators so far that can obfuscate jar files, Zelix
KlassMaster and Marvin Obfuscator. Both these work and generate
obfuscated jar files but neither of the generated files work. Both
produce "Java Virtual Machine Launcher" errors. The one from Marvin
Obfuscator seems to be invalid/corrupt while the one generated by Zelix
KlassMaster gives a fatal error.

Does someone know any "reliable" obfuscator that can produce a
completely functional jar file from an already functional jar and/or
any way I can set right the errors I've mentioned above?

Regards
SS

Chris Uppal

javadev said:
I have created a jar file which works well and I wish to obfuscate this
file. I tried 2 obfuscators so far that can obfuscate jar files, Zelix
KlassMaster and Marvin Obfuscator. Both these work and generate
obfuscated jar files but neither of the generated files work. Both
produce "Java Virtual Machine Launcher" errors.

Is this a JME application, and are you obfucating a JAR which has stack maps
already computed ? If so then you can't do that, you have to obfuscate before
computing the maps. See:
http://developers.sun.com/techtopics/mobility/midp/questions/obfuscate/

-- chris

javadev

Hi Roedy

Well, the link you have suggested was my starting point for the whole
obfuscation process. I got to the Zelix KlassMaster and the Marvin
Obfuscator from there.

Thanks
Swetha

javadev

I tried ProGuard and it did give me a working output!!! But when I
decompiled the output I found that more obfuscation was needed. Many
parts of the code that I wanted obfuscated hadn't been changed.

Swetha