object tag, browsers...

dorayme

http://dorayme.150m.com/test/piano.html

The midi sound file just plays fine in IE (Mac) 5. That is, it
just plays, there being no visual items generated from the object
tag. It even plays in Netscape 4 but with this old browser, there
is a discrete tiny control visual for vol, stop, start...

But not in any of my modern browsers on Mac OS X like Safari,
Mozilla, iCab .... does anything soundlike happen. These do
silence extremely well mind you! In Safari, the QT logo -
unwelcomed - comes up big and that's it!

Any ideas about how to make the browsers play the sound without
changing the mark up? But, I will change the mark up and fiddle
faddle about if I have to. One can see from simple examples like
this the great strength and beauty of the older IE, it could bend
with the wind, intuitively just do things one wanted...

cwdjrxyz

dorayme said:
http://dorayme.150m.com/test/piano.html

The midi sound file just plays fine in IE (Mac) 5. That is, it
just plays, there being no visual items generated from the object
tag. It even plays in Netscape 4 but with this old browser, there
is a discrete tiny control visual for vol, stop, start...

But not in any of my modern browsers on Mac OS X like Safari,
Mozilla, iCab .... does anything soundlike happen. These do
silence extremely well mind you! In Safari, the QT logo -
unwelcomed - comes up big and that's it!

Any ideas about how to make the browsers play the sound without
changing the mark up? But, I will change the mark up and fiddle
faddle about if I have to. One can see from simple examples like
this the great strength and beauty of the older IE, it could bend
with the wind, intuitively just do things one wanted..

Using the simple object tag you use just does not work on all browsers,
and the response to it has varied with browser upgrades over the past
few years.

Try a m3u file and put a link to that on your page. I have a m3u file
for a midi at http://www.cwdjr.net/sou/cancan.m3u . This just directs
to http://www.cwdjr.net/sou/cancan.mid . It is linkable, so feel free
to play around with it on your test pages. The Winamp, WMP, Real, and
QT players can all play a midi, although the Real player may ask you to
download a small plugin the first time you call for a midi. I have made
Winamp primary for m3u files, but you could just as well make one on
the other players primary, or be bothered by the browser asking you
what player to use every time a m3u file comes up. This approach worked
on the latest versions of IE6, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, and Opera as
well as the old Netscape 4.8. On the Netscape 4.8 you had to tell it
what to use and navigate to winamp.exe to bring up Winamp, but that was
no problem.

You can force the song to be played by any of the mentioned 4 players
by first bringing up the player and selecting to enter the URL of the
m3u directly from the player. This sometimes comes in handy for
testing.

This approach brings a player up, but it can be minimized with a click,
if desired. The advantage is that there is a set of controls. Moreover,
you can add several other songs to the m3u playlist if desired.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
http://dorayme.150m.com/test/piano.html

The midi sound file just plays fine in IE (Mac) 5. That is, it
just plays, there being no visual items generated from the object
tag. It even plays in Netscape 4 but with this old browser, there
is a discrete tiny control visual for vol, stop, start...

But not in any of my modern browsers on Mac OS X like Safari,
Mozilla, iCab .... does anything soundlike happen. These do
silence extremely well mind you! In Safari, the QT logo -
unwelcomed - comes up big and that's it!

Any ideas about how to make the browsers play the sound without
changing the mark up? But, I will change the mark up and fiddle
faddle about if I have to. One can see from simple examples like
this the great strength and beauty of the older IE, it could bend
with the wind, intuitively just do things one wanted...

I agree with cwd jr. The best way is to use an .m3u file directing to
the music file desired. Objects can be objectionable.

dorayme

Using the simple object tag you use just does not work on all browsers

OK, how do you sophisticate the tag to make it just play in
modern browsers? It is ok, I could research this, but if you
know, I would be obliged.

cwdjrxyz

dorayme said:
OK, how do you sophisticate the tag to make it just play in
modern browsers? It is ok, I could research this, but if you
know, I would be obliged.

See my pages that can be reached at
http://www.cwdjr.info/media/playersRoot.php .

You can usually embed the player at any size you wish or hide it. In
most cases you can use an ordinary object that often contains several
parameters. In a very few cases you may have to provide an ActiveX
object path for IE browsers only if you want them to stream rather than
download. If you think that some of this gets complicated, you are
right. We now have a media player and format war that makes the old
browser war seem tame on comparison. This is to be expected for media.
We also now have a format war for the new high definition DVDs just
beginning to appear.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
http://dorayme.150m.com/test/piano.html

The midi sound file just plays fine in IE (Mac) 5. That is, it
just plays, there being no visual items generated from the object
tag. It even plays in Netscape 4 but with this old browser, there
is a discrete tiny control visual for vol, stop, start...

But not in any of my modern browsers on Mac OS X like Safari,
Mozilla, iCab .... does anything soundlike happen. These do
silence extremely well mind you! In Safari, the QT logo -
unwelcomed - comes up big and that's it!

Any ideas about how to make the browsers play the sound without
changing the mark up? But, I will change the mark up and fiddle
faddle about if I have to. One can see from simple examples like
this the great strength and beauty of the older IE, it could bend
with the wind, intuitively just do things one wanted...

Works in my Moz 1.7.12 & FF1.5.0.1, it only a MIDI file so it is handled
by the QuickTime (I use QuickTime_Alternative) Plugin. Problem with your
plugin?

cwdjrxyz

Jonathan said:
Works in my Moz 1.7.12 & FF1.5.0.1, it only a MIDI file so it is handled
by the QuickTime (I use QuickTime_Alternative) Plugin. Problem with your
plugin?

The original also works for me in the most recent Firefox and Mozilla
browsers, but not in Opera. The object tag used for the original has
not worked on some IE variants in the past such as MSN - they would
give you a popup that the code might be harmful! However after sp2 and
countless updates, IE browsers have changed somewhat in how they
respond to this sort of thing. Of course IE likes ActiveX for this sort
of thing.

It is quite possible to have a problem with a QT plugin on Firefox. I
had one for which QT would try to play files, but would not. I had to
do clean uninstalls of both QT and Firefox to get rid of the problem.
Of course with a clean uninstall, you had best have everything of
importance on the browser backed up.

dorayme

cwdjrxyz said:
snip

See my pages that can be reached at
http://www.cwdjr.info/media/playersRoot.php .

You can usually embed the player at any size you wish or hide it. In
most cases you can use an ordinary object that often contains several
parameters. In a very few cases you may have to provide an ActiveX
object path for IE browsers only if you want them to stream rather than
download. If you think that some of this gets complicated, you are
right. We now have a media player and format war that makes the old
browser war seem tame on comparison. This is to be expected for media.
We also now have a format war for the new high definition DVDs just
beginning to appear.

Thank you. Did not want to step into any kind of war! Sounds like
heavy work for the harmless purpose my piano music served [1] but
I will take a look in case I need to include stuff for a paid job
(please God don't anyone ask me to include multimedia for now...)

I was looking at a friend's PC (Windows 2000) and the simple
object mark up did not work in his IE but did simply in his
Firefox. On my Mac IE it worked fine.

1. Mainly private site for friends, clear provided link to turn
music on or off by the dorayme proprietorial method: link saying
'piano music', goes to same looking page but with piano music,
page has 'stop music' link which goes to same looking page but
with 'no piano music' link.

dorayme

Jonathan N. Little said:
Works in my Moz 1.7.12 & FF1.5.0.1, it only a MIDI file so it is handled
by the QuickTime (I use QuickTime_Alternative) Plugin. Problem with your
plugin?

Yes, this did cross my mind re Safari... I can generally work
these things out or use other browsers. But most people would not
know a plugin from a font. Generally speaking if you go into home
after home, you will see that very few folk have their plugins
right! That is my experience at least. I am pleased and surprised
when I see things in multimedia simply work on other people's
computers.

The main thing is it seems my simple 'object' mark-up falls way
short of reliable across browsers in the real world. Pity. (As it
happens, it was for a very light unimportant private site purpose)