Ocra chat list?; Ocra crashes; Subclassing String

Ralph Shnelvar

1) Is there an active OCRA chat list?

2) When I use OCRA to create an executable, the executable crashes before the first puts is executed.

I _tentatively_ have isolated the problem to subclassing String. ...

- - - -

class PathnameString < String
def initialize(arg)
super arg
end

def is_root_directory?
!((self.convert_forward_slash_to_back_slash.strip =~ /^[A-Za-z]:\\$/).nil?)
end

def convert_forward_slash_to_back_slash
self.class.new(self.gsub(/\//, "\\"))
end

end
- - - -

Assuming that it is this subclassing that is causing OCRA difficulties, do any of the gurus here know what I might have to do get OCRA to understand the subclassing?

In the alternate ... I will have to change this from an ISA method to a HASA method with a ton of delegates. Is there a good Ruby way to do that?

Does using a ghost method sound like a good idea here?

Ralph Shnelvar

Saturday, August 21, 2010, 11:39:22 PM, you wrote:

RS> 1) Is there an active OCRA chat list?

RS> 2) When I use OCRA to create an executable, the executable crashes before the first puts is executed.

RS> I _tentatively_ have isolated the problem to subclassing String. ...

RS> - - - -

RS> class PathnameString < String
RS> def initialize(arg)
RS> super arg
RS> end
RS>
RS> def is_root_directory?
RS> !((self.convert_forward_slash_to_back_slash.strip =~ /^[A-Za-z]:\\$/).nil?)
RS> end

RS> def convert_forward_slash_to_back_slash
RS> self.class.new(self.gsub(/\//, "\\"))
RS> end

RS> end
RS> - - - -

RS> Assuming that it is this subclassing that is causing OCRA difficulties, do any of the gurus here know what I might have to do get OCRA to understand the subclassing?

RS> In the alternate ... I will have to change this from an ISA method to a HASA method with a ton of delegates. Is there a good Ruby way to do that?

RS> Does using a ghost method sound like a good idea here?

Replying to my own message:

Well, it was not subclassing, I think, that was messing OCRA up.

I had a handful of relatively innocuous *.rb files in a subdirectory off of my main directory. These are some utility classes and modules. As far as I can tell, there is nothing particularly special about them.

These functions sat in a directory named "Utils". Changing the name of the directory from Utils to UD_Stuff did not clear the crash.

The only thing that worked was moving these innocuous utility functions from the subdirectory up a level to the same directory where *main.rb* ...
ruby mymain.rb

What's weird is that I have other subdirectories (e.g. Models, Views, Controllers) with large and complicated ruby files, and I have no problems with them.

If anyone has any ideas ... I'd love to hear them.

Lars Christensen

1) Is there an active OCRA chat list?

You can go to http://rubyforge.org/projects/ocra and post to the forum
or create a request on the tracker.
2) When I use OCRA to create an executable, the executable crashes before the first puts is executed.

Can you be a bit more specific about the "crash", please. If it's an
exception, please post the output (name and backtrace). It will also
be very helpful if you can produce a minimal example that shows the
problem. I can't reproduce with the code your have provided.

I can also highly recommend trying out the new and improved Ocra
1.2.0.rc1. (gem install ocra --pre)

Ralph Shnelvar

Lars,

The only information about the crash is in the system event log

- - -
Faulting application UltraDedupGUI.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4b07346d, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x2f637273, process id 0x1a40, application start time 0x01cb424e0d9a7620
- - -

UltraDedupGUI.exe is the executable produced by OCRA.

I don't know how much of a low-level programmer you are but 0xc0000005 is an access violation ... a wild pointer.

Thus ... there is no trace to give you.

Ralph

Sunday, August 22, 2010, 5:06:50 PM, you wrote:

LC> You can go to http://rubyforge.org/projects/ocra and post to the forum
LC> or create a request on the tracker.

LC> Can you be a bit more specific about the "crash", please. If it's an
LC> exception, please post the output (name and backtrace). It will also
LC> be very helpful if you can produce a minimal example that shows the
LC> problem. I can't reproduce with the code your have provided.

LC> I can also highly recommend trying out the new and improved Ocra
LC> 1.2.0.rc1. (gem install ocra --pre)

Ralph Shnelvar

Lars,

Sunday, August 22, 2010, 5:06:50 PM, you wrote:

LC> You can go to http://rubyforge.org/projects/ocra and post to the forum
LC> or create a request on the tracker.

LC> Can you be a bit more specific about the "crash", please. If it's an
LC> exception, please post the output (name and backtrace). It will also
LC> be very helpful if you can produce a minimal example that shows the
LC> problem. I can't reproduce with the code your have provided.

LC> I can also highly recommend trying out the new and improved Ocra
LC> 1.2.0.rc1. (gem install ocra --pre)

I will post there.

I did the gem install and the latest exhibits the same bizarre behavior.