Once again, comparison wxpython with PyQt

Hans Müller

Here we have to select between wxPython and PyQt for a medium size project.
In this project several hundred dialogs are to be created. This work will be done by a
program generator which has to re-written.

The question now is which framework should we use.
As far as I could found is PyQt with the Qt Framework the superior choice.
Most articles I found (not all) results to PyQt.
But Qt is expensive ~ 3400€ per Developer and OS.
Since these articles are more or less old, it would be nice to hear your current opinions.

Condensed, I found this pros / cons:

Pros for Qt:
- best framwork, well designed
- nice GUI builders
- faster execution
Cons:
- epensive

Pros for wxPython:
- cheap
- big community
Cons:
- more layers on top of OS
- more bugs (still valid ?)
- slower

Can someone tell me about his experiences with one or both frameworks ?

Thanks a lot,

Greetings
Hans

Diez B. Roggisch

Hans said:
Here we have to select between wxPython and PyQt for a medium size
project. In this project several hundred dialogs are to be created. This
work will be done by a program generator which has to re-written.

The question now is which framework should we use.
As far as I could found is PyQt with the Qt Framework the superior choice.
Most articles I found (not all) results to PyQt.
But Qt is expensive ~ 3400€ per Developer and OS.

No, it's not. It is LGPL by now.

You will have to pay licensing for *PyQT*. I'm not sure, but I *think* it's
about 500€. However, it is much less than Qt used to be.

Diez

pdpi

No, it's not. It is LGPL by now.

You will have to pay licensing for *PyQT*. I'm not sure, but I *think* it's
about 500€. However, it is much less than Qt used to be.

Diez

Not quite. You only have to pay for the commercial license -- you can
use PyQT as GPL as well. This may or may not be acceptable for Hans's
purposes, but nowhere near "have to pay licensing".

Mike Driscoll

Here we have to select between wxPython and PyQt for a medium size project.
In this project several hundred dialogs are to be created. This work will be done by a
program generator which has to re-written.

The question now is which framework should we use.
As far as I could found is PyQt with the Qt Framework the superior choice..
Most articles I found (not all) results to PyQt.
But Qt is expensive ~ 3400€ per Developer and OS.
Since these articles are more or less old, it would be nice to hear your current opinions.

Condensed, I found this pros / cons:

Pros for Qt:
        - best framwork, well designed

"Best" in who's opinion?
        - nice GUI builders
        - faster execution

How was the execution speed measured?

Cons:
        - epensive

The others have answered this...
Pros for wxPython:
        - cheap
        - big community
Cons:
        - more layers on top of OS
        - more bugs (still valid ?)
        - slower

Again, how was the slowness measured?

Can someone tell me about his experiences with one or both frameworks ?

Thanks a lot,

Greetings
Hans

I've been using wxPython for almost three years. I can attest to there
being a good solid community behind wx that is very friendly. The
wxPython framework is built on top of C++ wxWidgets code, but as far
as I know, pyQT is built on top of the QT framework. So I'm not sure
where this idea of "more layers" for wx comes from.

I haven't messed with QT to know if it is faster or not. Hopefully
someone else can weigh in on that. I also don't know which has more
bugs. For what I've done though, I've never had a bug to deal with.
I've created a fairly involved timesheet for my company that's a
little unwieldy at the moment. I also have quite a few smaller
applications in wxPython. I like it quite a bit. All the widgets I've
ever needed are already implemented and when they aren't there, it
always seems that one of the other developers releases one.

I would recommend trying to create something small in each toolkit
(like a minimal calculator) and see which one makes the most sense to
you.

Mike

Jive Dadson

Qt has far better documentation, and it has Qt Designer. The
documentation is a big deal. I wrote a little project in wxPython, and
I spent 90% of my time just trying to find the names of member functions
and then to figure out what they do.

Why not use Qt C++? I like Python a lot. Heck, I even embedded it in a
robot controller that might have wrangled some of the wafers that went
into your computer chips. But I think I would go with C++ for a medium
size GUI project.

Hans Müller

Thanks for all your informative replies.

If I understand you right, for a commercial, closed source program I
only need a commercial PyQt license for ~ 500€ ?

As far as I know I also need a Qt Licenses which is ~3500€ per OS.

What is right ?

Thanks a lot,

Hans

Hilmar Bunjes

Hans said:
Thanks for all your informative replies.

If I understand you right, for a commercial, closed source program I
only need a commercial PyQt license for ~ 500€ ?

As far as I know I also need a Qt Licenses which is ~3500€ per OS.

What is right ?

Qt is under the LGPL license to you can use it for free in your
commercial program.

Best,
Hilmar

Jeremy Sanders

Hans said:
Thanks for all your informative replies.

If I understand you right, for a commercial, closed source program I
only need a commercial PyQt license for ~ 500€ ?

Why not ask the guys at riverbankcomputing?
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/commercial/pyqt

This page
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/license

Says "The commercial version of PyQt can be used with both the commercial
and LGPL versions of Qt."
As far as I know I also need a Qt Licenses which is ~3500€ per OS.

Not true, now Qt is licensed under the LGPL.

You have to abide by the LGPL, however, which means that the user has to be
able to relink a modified form of the library, Qt, with your application
should they wish. You should check whether the LGPL is appropriate for the
way you want to ship your program.

Jeremy