OOD and C++

arnuld

No, learning a different language won't help you in this regard. OOD
takes experience to get a handle on just like programming in general.
Years of use and reading is the only thing that will help you become
good at OO development and design.

Noah, you remind me of M. you are good and thanks for your help. it
really made the difference in my profession, for the good.
Learning a different language probably won't hurt you either though.

i will do SICP then.

thanks. ...bye

-- arnuld

phlip

arnuld said:
anyway, same thing again, 50/50 responses for C++ or OOD first.

hey Philip what do you say?

Oookay. Pick one:

- take a class, do exactly like the teacher says,
and in your spare time read extra books and do
exactly what the teacher said not to

- try either C++ or a soft language for yourself,
and follow whatever feels easy

The question whether the C++ chicken comes before the OO egg isn't useful
in an evolutionary model.

Daniel T.

"Noah Roberts said:
No, learning a different language won't help you in this regard. OOD
takes experience to get a handle on just like programming in general.
Years of use and reading is the only thing that will help you become
good at OO development and design.

Learning a different language probably won't hurt you either though.

I personally learned a great deal about OO design when I started
experimenting with some of the dynamic types languages. A lot clicked
for me. By all means learn C++, but you will also want to cover some
dynamic typed language like Ruby, SmallTalk, Python or the like...

arnuld

- take a class, do exactly like the teacher says,
and in your spare time read extra books and do
exactly what the teacher said not to

hey, hey, i liked it. i have exactly same thinking, the practical one
:)
- try either C++ or a soft language for yourself,
and follow whatever feels easy

with advice from M & Noah Roberts i finally decided to do C++
The question whether the C++ chicken comes before the OO egg isn't useful
in an evolutionary model.

your style is good ;-)

thanks

-- arnuld

Joe Van Dyk

arnuld said:
hello all,
i hope you folks must have recognised me. i posted here
some times & then disappear after i got answers (well, i disappear
only because of 2 reasons: 1st, i do not have any internet connection.
2nd i always apply the *things* you folks tell me and application of an
analysis takes a lot of time). anyway you people always helped me and
with *your* help, i am no longer a newbie, now i can read and
understand books which are written for programmers, with some
exceptions, of course. i have a problem in starting with c++ (yes, i
have decided to start c++). as usual, i searched the archives of
comp.lang.c++ for the answers to my question and that solved at least
50% of the problem,next, reading FAQS removed most of extra doubts i
had. now i have left with something i am not sure of.

i want to start a career in C++ . actually i looked at DICE.com and i
saw that for 60% of jobs in USA's major states c++ skills were wanted
and remaining 40% belonged to Java/.NET(as of MAY 2006). my main issue
is job and in the meantime i also want to become a good programmer. I
have been through the following books:

1.) "A gentle introduction to symbolic computation" - David S.Touretzky

2.) "Practical Common LISP" - Peter Seibel (upto chapter 22)

i stopped reading it because of job issue.

i am very sure about one thing, i do not need to learn C if all i want
is to learn C++. what i wan to ask is:

-- do i need to learn an OO langugae, like Ruby, before i dive into
C++. i read different posts and Stroustrup's FAQS too. but that left me
with ambiguity. i am not talking of smalltalk. i am talking of
paradigms and C++ is a multi-paradigm language. i dont know too much
about OOD. all i know is that in OOD we can structure our programme
into different data types and then we define operations on those data
types. a class can have any number of instances and i know about single
inheritance and multiple inheritance. except these i do not know
anything about OOD. --

will you people recommend me doing Ruby (it is OO) before i learn c++?

i want to follow this path: SICP -> C++ or

do i need to do Ruby -> SICP -> C++

any views?

(i am also learning Maths along the way so that i can understand
Knuth's algorithms.)

Learning from books is all good and stuff, but you should spend at least
half of your time writing software. Join or start an open source
project. As you learn new concepts from books, put those new concepts
into your code.

Also, software developing generally requires you to have domain
knowledge. If you're writing financial software, you need to have an
understanding of finance. If you're writing e-commerce software, you
need to know what the business owner wants from his website.

Joe