OpenGL 2.1 API xml crap ? :(

Skybuck Flying

I downloaded the opengl 2.1 api reference from the web from this link:

http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/

And then when I try to open it in windows/internet explorer on local drive I
get this crap:

"
The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then
click the Refresh button, or try again later.

System error: -2146697211. Error processing resource
'xhtml1-transitional.dtd'. Error processing resource 'file:///D:/Open...
"xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
"

Pretty much all files are *.xml ?!?

WTF ?! What's wrong ?!

It would be nice if I had the OpenGL 2.1 API Reference on my harddisk for
future reference in case the web/internet ever goes down, or in the far
future when it might have become obsolete ?!?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Jonathan N. Little

Skybuck said:
[...]

Did you read the Browser Compatibility section on that page? Looking at
you header it looks like you might be using IE6 which with MathML is a
no-go! Download Firefox if you want to view the manual....

Skybuck Flying

I am using IE8 for godssake ! ;) :)

What's wrong with using HTML for the documentation ?! ;)

Would be nice to have some HTML version too !

Ah me dreams of HTML version ! ;) :)

(For now I have the xml version... I could write an xml parser for it and
see if that helps... but for now I have no idea what the hell it's all about
and ofcourse no time ! :))

Bye,
Skybuck ;)

Neredbojias

I am using IE8 for godssake ! ;) :)

Doesn't matter. As JL said, try ff.
What's wrong with using HTML for the documentation ?! ;)

Would be nice to have some HTML version too !

Ah me dreams of HTML version ! ;) :)

(For now I have the xml version... I could write an xml parser for it
and see if that helps... but for now I have no idea what the hell
it's all about and ofcourse no time ! :))

If you have no time, get an audio version of the manual and listen to
it in the bathroom...

Jonathan N. Little

Skybuck said:
I am using IE8 for godssake ! ;) :)

What's wrong with using HTML for the documentation ?! ;)

Would be nice to have some HTML version too !

Ah me dreams of HTML version ! ;) :)

Hence why some of us here in alt.html rail against XHTML. It this case
the manual utilizes MathML for the formulas so it is one of the few
cases where XHTML makes sense. But then there is IE, 8 is better but is
still a pain for web developers, a better pain like the deference
between a jab in the ribs and being hit by a truck...
(For now I have the xml version... I could write an xml parser for it and
see if that helps... but for now I have no idea what the hell it's all about
and ofcourse no time ! :))

Or you could just download a *better* browser! You do not *have* to use IE.

Skybuck Flying

Doesn't make much sense to me...

IE8 works just fine when browsing the same files online...

When browsing offline it doesn't work anymore ?!?

How come ?!?

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with browser choice...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Jonathan N. Little

Skybuck said:
Doesn't make much sense to me...

IE8 works just fine when browsing the same files online...

When browsing offline it doesn't work anymore ?!?

How come ?!?

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with browser choice...

WAG, depends on how you downloaded your local copy, plus a local copy is
not server via a webserver which can cause problems with documents that
require server-side processing.

Wolfgang Draxinger

Skybuck said:
How come ?!?

Server side preprocessing of the XML.
Doesn't seem to have anything to do with browser choice...

Given a browser with real support for XML/XSLT you could browse the xml
files locally just fine. Firefox is such a browser. Internet Explorer sucks
big time anyway, not *properly* supporting things like SVG, XML and such up
until today.

Wolfgang

Skybuck Flying

The OpenGL website also wants me to install some weird Microsoft XHTML
thingy ?!?

Weird ! What the hell is all that stuff ?! ;)

(I refuse to install it because IE8 says it might be dangerous.)

To be exact:

MSXML 3.0 SP10 ?!?!?!? (AddOn)

What the hell is that all about ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Doug Miller

Doesn't make much sense to me...

IE8 works just fine when browsing the same files online...

When browsing offline it doesn't work anymore ?!?

How come ?!?

Server-side preprocessing that isn't occurring when you view it locally would
be the most obvious explanation.
Doesn't seem to have anything to do with browser choice...

Since you [apparently] don't use anything but IE, you would know this how??

Get a better browser, such as Firefox, or Opera, or Chrome, or Safari, or,
basically, anything but IE.

Or devote your time instead to something you find a little easier to
understand. Consider taking up knitting as a hobby.

Skybuck Flying

Ed Mullen said:
What in God's name are you doing screwing around with this stuff if you
can't even figure this out? Oh. I forgot. Troll.

What the hell are they doing using all that crap for their docs ? ;)

Bye,
Skybuck ;) :)

Skybuck Flying

Doug Miller said:
Doesn't make much sense to me...

IE8 works just fine when browsing the same files online...

When browsing offline it doesn't work anymore ?!?

How come ?!?

Server-side preprocessing that isn't occurring when you view it locally
would
be the most obvious explanation.
Doesn't seem to have anything to do with browser choice...

Since you [apparently] don't use anything but IE, you would know this
how??

Get a better browser, such as Firefox, or Opera, or Chrome, or Safari, or,
basically, anything but IE.

Or devote your time instead to something you find a little easier to
understand. Consider taking up knitting as a hobby.

Oh great so now people need a super-duper-state-of-the-art webbrowser for
something as old as opengl which works on windows 95 ?!

What's wrong with HTML for godssakes ?! ;) :)

Bye,
Skybuck =D

The Magpie

Oh great so now people need a super-duper-state-of-the-art webbrowser for
something as old as opengl which works on windows 95 ?!

What's wrong with HTML for godssakes ?! ;) :)
There is absolutely nothing (much) wrong with a decent implementation
of HTML at all. Or with XML.

What is wrong is the stupid fucking way you are trying to use antique,
broken and buggy software to do a job it was never capable of damn
well doing!

Did you not even take the hint when you got a *Microsoft* message
telling you the *Microsoft* software was broken and that you needed
more *Microsoft* software to make it work?

FOr crying out loud, mate - who *else* do you want to tell you to stop
using that crap and get something from this century!

Jonathan N. Little

Skybuck said:
What's wrong with HTML for godssakes ?! ;) :)

I'm going to regret this.

Okay I have already explained this, the manual uses complex mathatical
formulas. They are using MathML for these formulas which requires the
XHTML. HTML is great but is not extensible to the MathML features. To
make these formulas in an HTML document you would have to use images.

Wolfgang Draxinger

Skybuck said:
What the hell are they doing using all that crap for their docs ? ;)

Because it makes them machine readable, thus allowing for a couple of
interesting things like automatic translation in other documentation formats
or use in IDE's inline documentation systems. Or more fancy stuff like
automatically creating binding/extension loader libraries like GLEW.

Also you can't use HTML for some of the reference pages, as HTML has no
method for writing mathematical expressions. For that you need MathML, which
in turn is just some XML DTD and thus requires full XML support.

Just. Dump. Internet Explorer! It the worst browser out there.

Wolfgang

Skybuck Flying

The Magpie said:
There is absolutely nothing (much) wrong with a decent implementation
of HTML at all. Or with XML.

What is wrong is the stupid fucking way you are trying to use antique,
broken and buggy software to do a job it was never capable of damn
well doing!

Did you not even take the hint when you got a *Microsoft* message
telling you the *Microsoft* software was broken and that you needed
more *Microsoft* software to make it work?

FOr crying out loud, mate - who *else* do you want to tell you to stop
using that crap and get something from this century!

That doesn't make sense, since it works online, and doesn't work offline...
so no I don't need extra software ! ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Jonathan N. Little said:
I'm going to regret this.

Okay I have already explained this, the manual uses complex mathatical
formulas. They are using MathML for these formulas which requires the
XHTML. HTML is great but is not extensible to the MathML features. To make
these formulas in an HTML document you would have to use images.

What kind of formula's ?

Can you give an example opengl page ?

Bye,
Skybuck ;) :)

Wolfgang Draxinger

Skybuck said:
That doesn't make sense, since it works online, and doesn't work
offline... so no I don't need extra software ! ;)

There is a slight difference between requesting resources from a server and
browser (version) is on the recieving end and may do proper preprocessing
for that. If you're directly accessing locally stored files, then the
browser must do this job. But for this it needs extra software, in your case
the XML plugin from Microsoft.

Wolfgang

P.S.: The attitude you're demonstrating through the way you're posting into
Usenet and how you disregard the help people are trying to give you here and
in this case also advice on standard technologies one must know today, you
realize that no employer of the IT and computer graphics buissnes in the
whole world will give you a job? You may think that you're anonymous, but
that's not true: With every message you post, you tell us, that you live
somewhere in the netherlands. With every message you give a sample of your
writing profile (choice of words, grammatical structure, preferred idioms).