Opinions on ZigZag?

Hal E. Fulton

I've been reading about ZigZag again... in some
ways it seems interesting, but I do think it's
overhyped.

I'm curious to know what others think.

See http://xanadu.com/zigzag/

Of course, if this data structure (or paradigm)
is a fourth as powerful as they claim, then it
screams for a Ruby implementation...

Cheers,
Hal

Gawnsoft

I've been reading about ZigZag again... in some
ways it seems interesting, but I do think it's
overhyped.

I'm curious to know what others think.

See http://xanadu.com/zigzag/

Of course, if this data structure (or paradigm)
is a fourth as powerful as they claim, then it
screams for a Ruby implementation...

I'm scooting my way through the links on the page you cited, and so
far it looks like the Lotus Improv 'spreadsheet' which was available
on NextStep (and then briefly on Win3.1)

Unlike Excel, 1-2-3 et al., it was an n-dimensional spreadsheet, with
lots of really easy ways to render the extra dimensions onto the
two-dimensions of a screen or a printed page, plus easy facilities to
apply functions to the 'spreadsheet' cells, like summarizing along one
dimension.

I really do miss my copy of Improv.

Cheers,
Euan