Optimization problem, for a sports tournament

JE

Hi all!

I am working on a C++ program for managing a (real-life) sports
tournament. There are 10 teams involved, which all are to play against
every other team exactly once. Thus, each team plays a total of 9 matches.

The tournament is divided into 3 "rounds", each consisting of 15 matches.
All 10 teams are present at each round, and must play exactly 3 of their 9
matches per round. All 15 matches in a round are to be played at one and
the same field, so only one match can be played at a time.

The problem is to create an efficient playing program for each round, so
that the waiting time between any team's matches will be minimized.

Does anyone have a good algorithm for solving such an optimization problem?

- Joakim

Jonathan Turkanis

JE said:
I am working on a C++ program for managing a (real-life) sports
tournament.

The problem is to create an efficient playing program for each round, so
that the waiting time between any team's matches will be minimized.

You can convince me this isn't a homework assignment by giving the
name, date and location of the tournament.

Jonathan

Karl Heinz Buchegger

JE said:
Hi all!

I am working on a C++ program for managing a (real-life) sports
tournament. There are 10 teams involved, which all are to play against
every other team exactly once. Thus, each team plays a total of 9 matches.

The tournament is divided into 3 "rounds", each consisting of 15 matches.
All 10 teams are present at each round, and must play exactly 3 of their 9
matches per round. All 15 matches in a round are to be played at one and
the same field, so only one match can be played at a time.

The problem is to create an efficient playing program for each round, so
that the waiting time between any team's matches will be minimized.

Does anyone have a good algorithm for solving such an optimization problem?

Quick shot: Sounds like a variation of an backtracking problem.
Search the web for 'problem of stable marriage'