options for plotting points on geographic map

CM

Recommendations sought for using Python to plot points/custom markers
(and maybe other things?) on a map of an area of the U.S. of maybe 100
miles radius. (This would be a "political" map showing towns, such as
from Google Maps or Mapquest, and not a "physical" map). I'll need to
place markers or something based on zip codes.

I see there is pymaps, a Python wrapper for Google Maps. I may try
that but it seems to be barely documented and would require making a
webpage with javascript to display the map, whereas I'd probably
prefer a desktop app for this--though I'd consider a web page (it's
probably easier than I think).

I already use Matplotlib, but its Basemap seems to be only for
physical geography needs.

Are there other options one might recommend? (It is a little hard to
Google for this given the map() function).

Thanks,
Che

Prasad, Ramit

I see there is pymaps, a Python wrapper for Google Maps. I may try
that but it seems to be barely documented and would require making a
webpage with javascript to display the map, whereas I'd probably
prefer a desktop app for this--though I'd consider a web page (it's
probably easier than I think).

You could create the webpage andthen render it in your desktop app. I have seen plenty of apps like that.

Ramit

712 Main Street | Houston, TX 77002
work phone: 713 - 216 - 5423

securities, accuracy andcompleteness of information, viruses,

CM

You could create the webpage and then render
it in your desktop app. I have seen plenty of apps like that.

That's a good idea. I was able to get the basics of the pymaps
approach going, so I may do just this. Thanks.