ORA-01036: illegal variable name/number

CJM

I'm trying to call a package/procedure in oracle (from an ASP page) which
requires a number of parameters. I have got this working using OO40 but
unfortunately the transaction rollback function doesnt seem to do much.

So I'm now trying to use ADO instead (in the hope that ADO transactions will
work), however I'm getting the above error. My initial searches havent
turned up any suitable suggestions - there appear to be many reasons why
this error might occur - none of which I have found so far fit my situation.

Can anyone suggest where I am going wrong? Better still, can anyone post a
working code snippet that I can use as a model? I already have another [very
similar] function which calls a different package/procedure which works
fine.

Thanks in advance...

CJM

Code Snippets:

PROCEDURE AddSerialToHistory2(sSerialNo in varchar2, sPartNo in varchar2,
sSequenceNo in number,
sShopOrderNo in varchar2, sLineNo in varchar2, sRelNo in varchar2,
sSuperiorSerialNo in varchar2,
sSuperiorPartNo in varchar2, sOrderType in varchar2, sHistoryPurpose in
varchar2, sCurrentPosition in varchar2,
iResult Out number)
IS
sDesc Varchar2(100) := 'Received into stock against Shop Order ' ||
sShopOrderNo || ', ' || sLineNo || ', ' || sRelNo;
dtDate Date := CURRENT_DATE;
Begin
Insert Into IFSAPP.PART_SERIAL_HISTORY_TAB
(Part_No, Serial_No, Sequence_No, Order_No, Line_No, Release_No,
Transaction_Date,
RowVersion, Transaction_Description, Order_Type, History_Purpose,
Current_Position, User_Created,
Part_Ownership)
Values
(sPartNo, sSerialNo, sSequenceNo, sShopOrderNo, sLineNo, sRelNo,
dtDate, dtDate, sDesc,
sOrderType, sHistoryPurpose, sCurrentPosition, 'IFSAPP', 'COMPANY
OWNED');

If SQL%ROWCOUNT = 1 Then
iResult := 0;
--Commit;
Else
iResult := 1;
--Rollback;
End If;
END AddSerialToHistory2;

Function AddHistory (sSerialNo, sPartNo, sShopOrderNo, sLineNo, sRelNo,
sSuperiorSerialNo, sSuperiorPartNo)

Dim iResult2

Dim oParam
With oCmd
.CommandType=adCmdText

Set oParam = .CreateParameter("sSerialNo", adVarchar, adParamInput, 50,
sSerialNo)
.Parameters.Append oParam

Set oParam = .CreateParameter("sPartNo", adVarchar, adParamInput, 50,
sPartNo)
.Parameters.Append oParam

'Set oParam = .CreateParameter("sSequenceNo", adSmallInt, adParamInput,
50, 1)
'.Parameters.Append oParam

Set oParam = .CreateParameter("sShopOrderNo", adVarchar, adParamInput,
50, sShopOrderNo)
.Parameters.Append oParam

Set oParam = .CreateParameter("sLineNo", adVarchar, adParamInput, 50,
sLineNo)
.Parameters.Append oParam

Set oParam = .CreateParameter("sRelNo", adVarchar, adParamInput, 50,
sRelNo)
.Parameters.Append oParam

Set oParam = .CreateParameter("sSuperiorSerialNo", adVarchar,
adParamInput, 50, sSuperiorSerialNo)
.Parameters.Append oParam

Set oParam = .CreateParameter("sSuperiorPartNo", adVarchar, adParamInput,
50, sSuperiorPartNo)
.Parameters.Append oParam

'Set oParam = .CreateParameter("sHistoryPurpose", adVarchar,
adParamInput, 50, "INFO")
'.Parameters.Append oParam

'Set oParam = .CreateParameter("sCurrentPosition", adVarchar,
adParamInput, 50, "InInventory")
'.Parameters.Append oParam

Set oParam = .CreateParameter("iResult", adDecimal, adParamReturnValue)
.Parameters.Append oParam

'Insert row into SNE (Shop Order)
.CommandText="{Call ADDROWS.AddSerialToCatalog(?, ?, 1, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?,
'INFO', 'InInventory', ?)}"
.Execute() '<======= this is where
the error occurs

AddHistory = .Parameters("iResult").Value

.Parameters.Delete "sSerialNo"
.Parameters.Delete "sPartNo"
.Parameters.Delete "sSequenceNo"
.Parameters.Delete "sShopOrderNo"
.Parameters.Delete "sLineNo"
.Parameters.Delete "sRelNo"
.Parameters.Delete "sSuperiorSerialNo"
.Parameters.Delete "sSuperiorPartNo"
.Parameters.Delete "sHistoryPurpose"
.Parameters.Delete "sCurrentPosition"
.Parameters.Delete "iResult"

End With

End Function

CJM

Steve Howard said:
I also noticed the procedure you are calling is not the one for which
you have provided the definition. Are you sure they are the same?

Sorry, I cut and paste the wrong function! It doesnt make much difference,
since they are near identical.

Update: I'n the meantime, I've re-created the package call from first
principles, and it appears to be working. I'm not sure where the error lay,
but clearly there was one in there some where.

What is more, having moved away from OO4O to ADO, I now have transactions
working! Hurray to Microsoft! I'm not sure why transactiosn didnt work in
OO4O but it's academic now.

Thanks for your help Steve.

CJM

CJM

DA Morgan said:
Doesn't seem to do much ... means precisely what?

Unfortunately it means exactly what it says... I issued transactional
commands against a database object which neither returned an error or did
anything useful. Specifically, I couldnt rollback series of transactions; se
my earlier thread 'OO4O Transactions: Updates not being rolled=back'.
And that error, presumably, came with a line number. Use it to track
down the offending line.

The offending line was marked (perhaps not clearly enough) in my code
snippet. Not surprisingly, it was at the point were the oracle package was
called.

Anyway, I've finally got it all working, and thankfully I have transactional
control through ADO (see my reply to Steve).

Thanks for your efforts anyway.

CJM

CJM

Steve Howard said:
It would make all the difference, actually, if they are only "near"
identical.

Ok, obviously it would make a difference. What I was trying to say (but
glossing-over) was that the error was not with the general approach, because
the other similar routines work fine. It was with the specifics of the this
example, where I had presumably mis-typed something or had made a
syntactical mistake. When I recreated the code from scratch (using the same
knowledge and approach) it worked.

Going by your example (thanks, btw), I can only assume that the problem was
a similar mismatch between the parameters object and the procedure call.

Thanks

Chris

CJM

DA Morgan said:
CJM wrote:

Perhaps your driver, being Microsoft technology, is autocommitting so
there is nothing to roll back.

Initially, I was using OO4O which is a middleware layer from Oracle. Of
course, this will autocommit be default so there would be nothing to
rollback.

But I set the database object's Autocommit property to false and explicitly
started and rolled-back the transactions to no avail...
Try this simple test.

INSERT ONE ROW
ROLLBACK;
COMMIT;

Is the row committed or rolled back?
--

I tried something similar along the lines of:

AutoCommit = false
DB.BeginTrans
Insert Single Row
Rollback

Although OO4O never objected to the Rollback (ie no errors), it simply didnt
work - the rows were inserted anyway.

I moved across to ADO, and apart from the expected re-coding (although both
ADO and OO4O are very similar in approach), I had no problems at all.
Unfortunately, I'm using the MS ODBC For Oracle drivers, which have a
chequered history, so I would like to 'upgrade' to a better solution; either
a MS OLEDB driver or ideally the Oracle OLEDB driver which is included in
the same package as OO4O. Unfortunately, it doesnt seemt to have installed
correctly - at least, I can't see any Oracle OLEDB drivers shown in the ODBC
Administrator (the instant client and full client are listed though).

CJM