order of usercontrols processed by events of page

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Gokhan Akca, May 30, 2005.

  1. Gokhan Akca

    Gokhan Akca Guest

    I have a page containing multiple user controls.
    When Page_OnPreRender is called, the user controls' OnPreRender Method is
    called, too.

    But: How is the order of the usercontrols processed by asp.net? Note that I
    have multiple user controls - not just one.
    Assumption: the framework is accessing the page's controls list.

    If the assumption is correct:
    How can I affect the order of user controls stored in the page's controls
    list?

    Does the tag prefix registration within a page affect the order of the
    controls in the control's list?
    Or does the page parse the controls which it contains and adds them one by
    one in order of occurence within the HTML tags?

    Please note:
    I am not interested in simple page lifecycle. I am already familiar with
    page lifecycle. I need some information on how I can affect the order of web
    user controls within a page processed by asp.net events.

    Thanks.

    Gokhan Akca, May 30, 2005

  2. Gokhan Akca

    Brock Allen Guest

    How can I affect the order of user controls stored in the page's
    The order they're in the list is the ordered they're rendered on the page.
    Changing this order will affect the layout of your page (unless you're using
    absolute positioning).
    If there's something critical you need to do on the controls in a particular
    order, I'd suggest writing code at the page level that finds all of your
    custom controls in the controls collection and then calls to them in whatever
    order you're looking for.

    Brock Allen, May 30, 2005