os.startfile() - one or two arguments?

BartlebyScrivener

Can any Windows user give a working example of adding a "command verb"
to os.startfile()?

When I try it, it squawks that it takes only one argument.
Traceback (most recent call last):
TypeError: startfile() takes exactly 1 argument (2 given)

from os module

startfile( path[, operation])
Start a file with its associated application.

When operation is not specified or 'open', this acts like
double-clicking the file in Windows Explorer, or giving the file name
as an argument to the start command from the interactive command shell:
the file is opened with whatever application (if any) its extension is
associated.

When another operation is given, it must be a ``command verb'' that
specifies what should be done with the file. Common verbs documented by
Microsoft are 'print' and 'edit' (to be used on files) as well as
'explore' and 'find' (to be used on directories).

Thanks,

rpd

"Give a man a fire and keep him warm for a day. Light a man on fire and
he will be warm for rest of his life." --Terry Pratchett

Scott David Daniels

BartlebyScrivener said:
Can any Windows user give a working example of adding a "command verb"
to os.startfile()?

When I try it, it squawks that it takes only one argument.

Traceback (most recent call last):
TypeError: startfile() takes exactly 1 argument (2 given)

Works fine for me with Python 2.5a2 on Win2K
I ran: os.startfile('c:/','explore')
And an explorer window popped up.

--Scott David Daniels
(e-mail address removed)

Thomas Heller

BartlebyScrivener said:
[...]

The optional second argument was added in Python 2.5 (currently in alpha).
These examples work for me, with python 2.5a2:

os.startfile("Rechnung-28.10.pdf", "print")
os.startfile("c:\\", "explore")

Thomas

BartlebyScrivener

Whoops! Sorry all. I was using the "in-development" version of the
documentation and didn't even realize it.

Thank you,

Rick