OS.SYSTEM ERROR !!!

Blubaugh, David A.

To All,

I have been attempting to execute the following program within the
Python environment:

Myprogram.exe, which means this is an executable file!!

I would usually execute this program (with the appropriate arguments) by
going to following directory within MS-DOS (Windows XP):

C:\myprogramfolder\run> Myprogram.exe 1 1 acc 0

The executable would execute perfectly.

However, when I would try to execute the following lines of source code
within a python script file:

import os

os.system(r"C:\myprogramfolder\run\Myprogram.exe 1 1 acc 0")

The executable file would start to execute until it would print an error
stating that it cannot use a (.dat) file, which is located under the
following directory:

C:\myprogramfolder\run\inputs\io\control.dat

I believe I may be missing something here that prevents the executable
file working within python from utilizing this (.dat). The printed
final error is the following:

ERROR opening inputs/io/control.dat

Does anyone know what that could be ??

Thanks,

David Blubaugh

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be
privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive
this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the
message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected.
After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in
correcting this error is appreciated.

Carsten Haese

Blubaugh said:
[...]

The program (myprogram.exe) is not looking for
C:\myprogramfolder\run\inputs\io\control.dat, it's looking for
inputs/io/control.dat relative to its current working directory. That
will only work if the current working directory of the program is
C:\myprogramfolder\run. Is it?

giltay

I would usually execute this program (with the appropriate arguments) by
going to following directory within MS-DOS (Windows XP):

C:\myprogramfolder\run> Myprogram.exe 1 1 acc 0 [snip]
import os

os.system(r"C:\myprogramfolder\run\Myprogram.exe 1 1 acc 0") [snip]
ERROR opening inputs/io/control.dat
[snip]

I would add the following line right before your call to os.system:

os.chdir(r'C:\myprogramfolder\run')

If you have to change directories to run it properly in the Windows
shell, then you need to do it in Python, too.

HTH,
Geoff G-T