    I'm not surprised that some idiot has done such a thing, but I am
    surprised that Google allows people to be signed up without any checking.

    -- Richard

    Richard Tobin, Oct 3, 2005

  2. I already reported that to their abuse desks, but haven't gotten an answer
    except from some automated answering system. Please do the same, this
    behaviour is untenable.

    Uli

    Ulrich Eckhardt, Oct 3, 2005

  3. Richard Tobin

    Tim Prince Guest

    I got a slightly more personalized answer from them, saying
    (paraphrased) they don't know how to control abusive use of their
    service, and don't make any attempt. If you can determine the ISP of
    the submittor, report the abuse to them as well. If that ISP doesn't
    show up, with headers turned on, it's clearly spam, not that I know how
    to set a filter accordingly.

    Tim Prince, Oct 4, 2005
  4. Richard Tobin

    Thad Smith Guest

    I received the same. Besides being signed up without permission, I was
    dismayed that Google doesn't identify the group in the subject line,
    like Yahoo does.

    Thad

    Thad Smith, Oct 4, 2005
  5. Richard Tobin

    Zara Guest

    I signed into the group, and the signed out of it. It works, no more
    messages.

    BTW, I think this group is more the caprice of a childish student more
    than a malicious attempt to spam.

    Zara, Oct 4, 2005
  6. I was signed up and I know of others here that were as well. I was
    actually made a supervisor/admin of the group, all without any say from
    myself. I sent an email to "anoopkammaran" indicating I wanted nothing
    to do with his silly venture and unsubscribed from the group, no more
    emails.
    Given what Google has done to the medium so far I am not at all
    surprised.

    Robert Gamble

    Robert Gamble, Oct 4, 2005
  7. Richard Tobin

    dcduring Guest

    1. You can help yourself avoid this kind of problem by going to
    "manage your subscriptions" on the Google Groups website and making
    sure that the box that allows a group owner to simply put you in a
    group without your agreeing is not checked.

    2. I am not sure what legitimate purpose is served by ever allowing
    group owners to make people members of a group without their permission
    outside of a work environment. It might connect to some approach to
    advertising or facilitating the creation of user groups, but it seems
    much too subject to abuse. The opt-out mechanism, although not hidden,
    is also not obvious and forces a user to come to the Google Groups
    site. Google needs to change this approach and find some other way to
    make money from making Google Groups available for free.

    dcduring, Oct 4, 2005
  8. How can I "manage my subscriptions" when I don't have any?

    -- Richard

    Richard Tobin, Oct 4, 2005
  9. How would you go about writing something on a piece of paper,
    if you hadn't any?

    Get some (paper)? (or 'a subscription' in this case).

    Markus

    Markus Becker, Oct 5, 2005
  10. Are you seriously suggesting I should subscribe to the company that's
    spamming me so I can ask them not to?

    -- Richard

    Richard Tobin, Oct 5, 2005
  11. Richard Tobin

    Alan Balmer Guest

    WTF? Is Google running a protection racket? You have to sign up with
    them to be protected from their groupies?

    Alan Balmer, Oct 5, 2005
  12. Richard Tobin

    the_cacc Guest

    Oh perish the thought you have to do something to help yourself! How
    about spamming sci.math with your problems, that'll work. Duh...

    the_cacc, Oct 6, 2005
  13. Richard Tobin

    Alan Balmer Guest

    Hmm... Perhaps I should help myself by simply filtering all mail which
    originates from googlegroups.com. That would work, and eliminate a
    bunch of clueless posters, as well.

    Alan Balmer, Oct 6, 2005
  14. So you /are/ seriously suggesting that one should subscribe to the
    spammer's mailing list, in order to ask them not to spam you.

    What a cretinous thing to suggest.

    Mark McIntyre, Oct 6, 2005