OT: guidelines for splitting images

mscir

I'm working on a site that will have some large graphics on the home
page. Any suggestions about max image size or any other guidelines
before I start dicing up the images? Also I was wondering why this is
preferable to using larger progressive jpg's.

TIA,
Mike

brucie

in post: <
mscir said:
I'm working on a site that will have some large graphics on the home
page.

not a good idea. you have about 8-10 seconds before the visitor hits
their back button.
Any suggestions about max image size

you should try to keep your front page in total (including all images,
css, JS etc) around 30-40k.
or any other guidelines before I start dicing up the images?

don't bother.
Also I was wondering why this is preferable to using larger
progressive jpg's.

its not, its a myth. it takes longer and consumes more bandwidth
downloading multiple images that just the one.

Cameron

mscir said:
I'm working on a site that will have some large graphics on the home
page. Any suggestions about max image size or any other guidelines
before I start dicing up the images? Also I was wondering why this is
preferable to using larger progressive jpg's.

TIA,
Mike

It was devised as a way to try and make it harder for people copying
images, presumably.

~Cameron

Toby A Inkster

mscir said:
I'm working on a site that will have some large graphics on the home
page. Any suggestions about max image size or any other guidelines
before I start dicing up the images? Also I was wondering why this is
preferable to using larger progressive jpg's.

It's not. Although my knowledge of image compression techniques is
somewhat limited, I believe the total size of an image will generally go
*up* by splitting it in two, especially when HTTP headers are added. The
are some exceptions probably.

Of course, you do gain an advantage with two images: the browser can
download them simultaneously, which could result in a small speed gain.

rf

mscir said:
I'm working on a site that will have some large graphics on the home
page. Any suggestions about max image size or any other guidelines
before I start dicing up the images? Also I was wondering why this is
preferable to using larger progressive jpg's.

Slicing up images does not decrease the download time, it actually increases
it.

The same amount of data has to come down, well more actually: the jpeg
overhead in each file adds to the total.

Then you must add in the extra TCP/IP overhead - more return trips to the
host, more packets etc.

Cheers
Richard.

mscir

Thanks guys.
mscir wrote:

It's not. Although my knowledge of image compression techniques is
somewhat limited, I believe the total size of an image will generally go
*up* by splitting it in two, especially when HTTP headers are added. The
are some exceptions probably.

Of course, you do gain an advantage with two images: the browser can
download them simultaneously, which could result in a small speed gain.

Lauri Raittila

In said:
It's not. Although my knowledge of image compression techniques is
somewhat limited, I believe the total size of an image will generally go
*up* by splitting it in two, especially when HTTP headers are added. The
are some exceptions probably.

Yes. It makes sence, if you have something like low contrast photo/color-
glide on background and small logo/text on the other end. Then when you
save photo using jpg and logo using png, and can get serious size
reduction.
(as you can use much higher progression for jpg and logo with few colors
as png don't take much)

Of course, in such case, it was wrong to do image as one from beginning.
Of course, you do gain an advantage with two images: the browser can
download them simultaneously, which could result in a small speed gain.

And, you can make it wrap... Something like this:
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~laurirai/www/css/examples/img_after.html

It fits very narrow window. (but I don't think it makes sence just
because size reduction, that is pretty small, IIRC 1.7kB)

(I'm having problem with antialias on wrapped image, as I got that image
ready made, so it is not easiest task to change...)