(OT) Message filtering

Dave Miller

Does anyone know how to filter on the NNTP-Posting-Host header within
the Thunderbird newsreader?

Joshua Cranmer

Dave said:
Does anyone know how to filter on the NNTP-Posting-Host header within
the Thunderbird newsreader?

It's not possible in TB 2.0, TB 3.0a1, or TB 3.0a2; with any luck, it
should get into TB nightlies within a week or so.

RedGrittyBrick

Joshua said:
It's not possible in TB 2.0, TB 3.0a1, or TB 3.0a2; with any luck, it
should get into TB nightlies within a week or so.

Where can I get a TB nightly?

RedGrittyBrick

RedGrittyBrick said:
Where can I get a TB nightly?

Whilst waiting for TB to acquire decent filtering I am having some
success with NewsProxy (nfilter). I found it surprisingly easy to set
up. I had to exit and restart it after configuring the news server. Stop
and Start buttons seem to reload any changes to filters.

Features I like:
* Simple to set up and use.
* rules to drop posts
* rules to prefix text to "subject" or "sender" headers.
* which TB message filters can then use.
* scoring rules
* e.g. Add 50 to score if NNTP-Posting-Host is *.foo.bar
* Then have rules to drop or mark posts scoring > 150 say.

e.g. "comp.lang.java.* FLAG:FAKE-POSTER supersedes:*"

Version 1.2.4 can be obtained by following the links at
http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

The filters are edited in a text editor and are explained here
http://www.nfilter.org/faq.html

P.S. Yes I realise lots of other NNTP clients already have these
filtering capabilities. I've tried a few but I like TB's UI too much to
switch (for now).

Daniele Futtorovic

Presumably here:
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll give it a try.

The NNTP part of TB is the poorest one IMO by the way. Unfortunately,
they don't seem to address it at all in their "TB 3 roadmap":
<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Thunderbird3>

RedGrittyBrick

Daniele said:
Presumably here:
<http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/>
Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll give it a try.

The NNTP part of TB is the poorest one IMO by the way. Unfortunately,
they don't seem to address it at all in their "TB 3 roadmap":
<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Thunderbird3>

The ISP I use at home has an NNTP server that doesn't provide full
"overview" headers <http://www.nfilter.org/faq.html#4.1>. So I
registered for motzarella.org's free nntp service (which IIRC you
recommended) - It certainly makes at least one petty nuisance disappear.