    generators, which convert the radiation given off by radioactive
    substances to electricity. They are typically expected to have an
    effective working life of a decade or more.

    Steven D'Aprano, Jun 15, 2014

  2. Yeah this is totally believable. One rogue engineer who clearly did it
    all by himself. He just wanted to save the company a few dollars out of
    pure love for it. Clearly it's his and only his fault with no boundary
    conditions that could have influenced his decision in any meaningful
    ways. In fact, there's even a GM company memo that states "Hey Ray, just
    do what is sensible engineering-wise and don't worry about cost. It's
    kewl." But no, Ray just had to go rogue. Just had to do it his way. Man.
    Typical Ray thing.

    Cheers,
    Johannes

    Kosmologen: Die Geheim-Vorhersage.
    - Karl Kaos über Rüdiger Thomas in dsa <hidbv3$om2$>

    Johannes Bauer, Jun 15, 2014

  3. or, what I think is even clearer than your last one:

    def make_street_address_map(info_list):
    return { info.get_street_address(): info.get_zip_code()
    for info in info_list }

    Regards,

    Johannes Bauer, Jun 15, 2014
  4. Live and learn. Have been an the lookout for dict comprehensions, but
    didn't notice they were already included.

    Marko

    Marko Rauhamaa, Jun 15, 2014
  5. Sturla Molden

    Anssi Saari Guest

    That was before 90 nm when leakage current started dominating over
    switching current. But has low power or battery life been in anyone's
    interest ever? Or rather, is battery life interesting enough that
    marketing would notice? Or maybe it's so that what a marketing guy or a
    manager needs is maybe one hour for his presentation so anything over
    that is extra?

    A few years ago jumbo sized but cheapish CULV laptops suddenly had 10
    hours plus battery but did anyone notice or care? Today expensive
    Haswell ULT laptops get the same while being relatively thin and light
    but again, where's the interest? Apple didn't even bother trying to make
    improved battery life a selling point for the 2013 Macbook Air. I was
    seriously considering one but I prefer matte displays and cellular
    connectivity built in.

    Anssi Saari, Jun 16, 2014
  6. Well, if you don't care about speed, you probably don't
    need to make it that small. There's plenty of time for
    signals to propagate, so you can afford to spread the
    circuitry out more.

    The point is that "optimising for power consumption" on
    its own doesn't really make sense, because there's no
    optimum point -- you can more or less make the power
    consumption as low as you want if you *really* don't
    care about speed in the slightest.

    In practice, people *do* care about speed, so it
    becomes a tradeoff between low power consumption and
    something fast enought that people will want to use
    it.
    I think people do care, it's just that going from
    something like 6 hours to 10 hours is not a big
    enough change to warrant much hype. If it were
    100 hours, without losing too much else, I'm
    pretty sure it *would* be made a marketing point!

    Gregory Ewing, Jun 16, 2014