OT: Usenet provider

Joe (GKF)

I have to change ISPs and it's increasingly difficult to find one in my
price range that provides Usenet. Can any Aussies recommend either a
cheap ISP who does Usenet, or a good cheap Usenet provider?
Ta.
BTW - we got 28mm of rain yesterday. Bloody bewdy! It hasn't broken the
drought by any means, but it certainly was nice.

andrew

I have to change ISPs and it's increasingly difficult to find one
in my price range that provides Usenet. Can any Aussies recommend
either a cheap ISP who does Usenet, or a good cheap Usenet provider?

I have been using AAPT for a while now and it provides decent Usenet
service, although it uses news.connect.com.au. Prices are only ok if
you bundle everything together: phone, mobile, broadband will charge
$40 per month for 512/128 12 gig download and give you a nice
modem/router. Is this your price range?

BTW - we got 28mm of rain yesterday. Bloody bewdy! It hasn't broken
the drought by any means, but it certainly was nice.

Some reasonably heavy rain here in the Blue Mountains as well.
Perhaps this is the beginning of the end for the long dry spell,
despite what the doomsayers seem to want :)

Andrew

Blinky the Shark

Joe said:
I have to change ISPs and it's increasingly difficult to find one in
my price range that provides Usenet. Can any Aussies recommend either
a cheap ISP who does Usenet, or a good cheap Usenet provider?

Usenet feed: http://news.individual.net

Don't pick your new ISP based on it having a Usenet feed; most ISP
Usenet feeds suck. Get a good ISP and get a good Usenet feed elsewhere.

dorayme

Joe (GKF) said:
I have to change ISPs and it's increasingly difficult to find one in my
price range that provides Usenet. Can any Aussies recommend either a
cheap ISP who does Usenet, or a good cheap Usenet provider?
Ta.
BTW - we got 28mm of rain yesterday. Bloody bewdy! It hasn't broken the
drought by any means, but it certainly was nice.

Does Optus provide for your area?

Joe (GKF)

I have been using AAPT for a while now and it provides decent Usenet
service, although it uses news.connect.com.au. Prices are only ok if
you bundle everything together: phone, mobile, broadband will charge
$40 per month for 512/128 12 gig download and give you a nice
modem/router. Is this your price range?

No broadband available here and I don't have a mobile phone. (They don't
work too good here on the farm)
Some reasonably heavy rain here in the Blue Mountains as well.
Perhaps this is the beginning of the end for the long dry spell,
despite what the doomsayers seem to want :)
There's a long way to go yet. We (ie., Australia) will need above
average rainfall for *years* to get back to anything like what we
considered to be "normal".

Joe (GKF)

Usenet feed: http://news.individual.net

Don't pick your new ISP based on it having a Usenet feed; most ISP
Usenet feeds suck. Get a good ISP and get a good Usenet feed elsewhere.
Thanks for that. You're probably right - certainly the Usenet feed from
my current ISP is not all that great. I value your input.

andrew

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 01:24:17 GMT

[...]
No broadband available here and I don't have a mobile phone. (They
don't work too good here on the farm)

[....]

My apologies :) I dug a little deeper into your site:

http://graspages.cjb.cc/cheap06/index.php

and saw that you were a little more geographically remote than I had
expected!! I like your interest in using older hardware, an interest
I am pursuing myself. I have documented part of this at:

http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/linux.html

although my circumstances and interests are a little different from
yours :)

All the very best,

Andrew

dorayme

Joe (GKF) said:
Why yes they do. Is that a recommendation?

They are very reliable on the technical side, as big a nightmare
as any other big company to communicate with, the former quality
making the latter less of a problem. Yes, sure. My service has
been rock solid and there seem endless amounts of newsgroups
available (hopelessly wasted on me, I look at about 3 groups!
This may or may not surprise you).

But Blinkey knows all about this stuff and given you are in the
country and there's no water and nothing to do, you might need
something more comprehensive re usenet and follow his advice? <g>

Joe (GKF)

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 01:24:17 GMT

[...]
My apologies :) I dug a little deeper into your site:

http://graspages.cjb.cc/cheap06/index.php
Hey, no need to apologise! I appreciated your interest.
... I like your interest in using older hardware, an interest
I am pursuing myself. I have documented part of this at:

http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/linux.html
although my circumstances and interests are a little different from
yours :)

All the very best,

Andrew
Older hardware is fine for most people most of the time. My nearest
neighbour has recently upgraded to Win95!
I have a Win98 box (Pentium 200MMX) right next to me, but I generally
run WinXP these days.
I haven't tried Fiesty yet, but I'm getting it via Shipit.
I run Dapper sometimes, and would use it more if I had anything better
than a crappy Conextant Winmodem. Even a Lucent Winmodem would be fine.

I d/l'ed DamnSmallLinux the other day(s) and was quite impressed with
its "out of the box" performance.

mbstevens

I d/l'ed DamnSmallLinux the other day(s) and was quite impressed with
its "out of the box" performance.

Hot stuff. Everything loads into ram. No banging
on that slow CD drive. I love it.

Joe

But Blinkey knows all about this stuff and given you are in the
country and there's no water and nothing to do, you might need
something more comprehensive re usenet and follow his advice? <g>
Hey! There's always plenty to do. Why just the other night I had to stay
up all night to watch the cricket.
(And actually, we've just had a total of 48mm of lovely rain over the
past few days. It's definately a start. The tanks are full. Now we need
some decent followup for the wheat cocky over the road, and then about
15mm every week or two from July through October for my stone fruit. Not
hard rain though -just a gentle drizzle. At night.)

Blinky the Shark

Joe said:
Hey! There's always plenty to do. Why just the other night I had to stay
up all night to watch the cricket.

What? It was over in one night? I thought those matches dragged on for
days on end. :)

andrew

[....]
What? It was over in one night? I thought those matches dragged
on for days on end. :)

Depends how well the Aussies are playing :)

Just remember that the Australian team has just won the world
championship for the one day game :)

Andrew

dorayme

Hey! There's always plenty to do. Why just the other night I had to stay
up all night to watch the cricket.

What? It was over in one night? I thought those matches dragged on for
days on end. :)[/QUOTE]

There is test cricket, often 5 days long and a relatively new
more commercial competition of 1 day cricket. At most school
levels, a whole game mostly ends in one afternoon naturally;
rarely could less than 20 wickets be held onto at those levels