Outlook .msg file reader

Guyon Morée

Hi all,

I want to backup my email to a cd. one way to do this is just drag all my
email to a folder and outlook will create .msg files automatically including
their attachments.

now I want a simple stand-alone reader, which I can burn on the cd as well
so I can view the contents of it without requiring Outlook. If it can search
the contents, that would even be better!

thanks,

Guyon Moree

Guyon Morée

I am sorry, I was supposed to send this to alt.comp.freeware!

But, if anyone knows a nice python lib to read .MSG files, I might create
this app myself!

Max M

Guyon said:
Hi all,

I want to backup my email to a cd. one way to do this is just drag all my
email to a folder and outlook will create .msg files automatically including
their attachments.

now I want a simple stand-alone reader, which I can burn on the cd as well
so I can view the contents of it without requiring Outlook. If it can search
the contents, that would even be better!

I think that the email module is what you need.

regards Max M

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou

[snip: outlook .msg files]
now I want a simple stand-alone reader, which I can burn on the cd as well
so I can view the contents of it without requiring Outlook. If it can search
the contents, that would even be better!

Linux 'file' command reports the .msg files as "Microsoft Office
Documents" (and truly the file starts with the D0 CF bytes); try using
some OLE2 structured file library to open the files, and search the
internal tree of streams; one of them quite possibly will be the message
in message/rfc822 (ie plain text) format (I see it with a hex editor);
you can manage it message with Python's email library.

I wouldn't bet that the attachments will be included in the
message/rfc822 format, though... I have no data, but this is just a
hunchl; I assume they will be stored as separate streams, but ICBW.