overwriting memory

Robbie Brown

I'm trying to understand the issues surrounding overwriting memory.
To this end I have the following (truncated) gdb session.

The main question is at the end and probably appears naive in the
extreme. I'm just checking my understanding.

First a deliberate mistake
I apparently declare an array of pointers to int
but only allocate enough space for int

int **pr4 = malloc(sizeof(int) * 5);

gdb print pr4
(int **) 0x602040

gdb x/1xg 0x602040
0x602040: 0x0000000000000000
0x602048: 0x0000000000000000
0x602050: 0x00000000 <- last int
54: 00000000 <- padding?
0x602058: 0x0000000000020fb1

I have actually allocated enough space to store
5*4 byte integers, I think the last 4 bytes at 54 is (64 bit)word align.

***
Is this correct?
***

I then declare and init an int and assign it's address
to the 3rd slot of the array. This effectively overwrites the padding bytes.

int i2 = 14;
pr4[2] = &i2; //address should overwrite the padding

gdb print pr4
(int **) 0x602040

gdb x/1xg 0x602040
0x602040: 0x0000000000000000
0x602048: 0x0000000000000000
0x602050: 0x00007fffffffe5d8 <- overwrites unallocated 4 bytes
0x602058: 0x0000000000020fb1

I can view the value and print it out

gdb x/1xw 0x00007fffffffe5d8
0x7fffffffe5d8: 0x0000000e <- pr4[2] i2 (14)

and I can keep going

int i4 = 16;
pr4[4] = &i4;

gdb print pr4
(int **) 0x602040

gdb x/1xg 0x602040
0x602040: 0x0000000000000000
0x602048: 0x0000000000000000
0x602050: 0x00007fffffffe5d0 <- alloc'd mem stops at 602054
0x602058: 0x00007fffffffe5d4
0x602060: 0x00007fffffffe5d8

gdbx/1xw 0x00007fffffffe5d0
0x7fffffffe5d0: 0x0000000e <- pr4[2] i2 (14)
0x7fffffffe5d4: 0x0000000d <- pr4[3] i3 (13)
0x7fffffffe5d8: 0x00000010 <- pr4[4] i4 (16)

I have now allocated 20 bytes more that I declared for.
I can access this memory, dereference the pointer and print
out the stored value

printf("%d\n", *pr4[4]);

If you have got this far, kudos :)

The question is this

It appears that I can go well beyond the allocated space and still
access the memory without problem, it doesn't appear to be an issue

What *does* appear to be the issue however is that the additional memory
I have 'stolen' may be in use by another part of the program. I have
overwritten this memory despite not asking for it and that may cause
problems elsewhere. *This* appears to be the issue.

***
Is this correct
***

Thank you for your indulgence.

Ben Bacarisse

Robbie Brown said:
The question is this

It appears that I can go well beyond the allocated space and still
access the memory without problem, it doesn't appear to be an issue

What *does* appear to be the issue however is that the additional
memory I have 'stolen' may be in use by another part of the program. I
have overwritten this memory despite not asking for it and that may
cause problems elsewhere. *This* appears to be the issue.

That depends on what something being the issue means. Indexing beyond
the bounds of an array (or, as here, allocated storage) is undefined
behaviour (and that applies to reads as much as to writes) and avoiding
undefined constructs is a big issue for me.

Something particularly bad might have happened only when you stamped on
some particular location, but that's more a accident that anything
else. It's not what I'd call the issue.

By the way, you can reduce allocation size mistakes by using the
pattern:

var = malloc(sizeof *var * number_of_elements);

Robbie Brown

That depends on what something being the issue means.

The *issue* is 'overwriting memory is bad' and 'it's bad because you
might overwrite something that another part of the program needs'

I'm trying to understand exactly why this is, what are the possible
ramifications and how to avoid it.

Like I say, it's a raw beginners question.

Thanks for the response.

James Kuyper

I'm trying to understand the issues surrounding overwriting memory.
To this end I have the following (truncated) gdb session.

The main question is at the end and probably appears naive in the
extreme. I'm just checking my understanding.

First a deliberate mistake
I apparently declare an array of pointers to int
but only allocate enough space for int ....
It appears that I can go well beyond the allocated space and still
access the memory without problem, it doesn't appear to be an issue

What *does* appear to be the issue however is that the additional memory
I have 'stolen' may be in use by another part of the program. I have
overwritten this memory despite not asking for it and that may cause
problems elsewhere. *This* appears to be the issue.

All that the standard says is that the behavior is undefined. That
doesn't mean that there's any particular thing that must go wrong; it
just means that you can't rely upon the code to be safe. As a practical
matter, in general reading outside the allocated memory is safer than
writing outside of it, but even reading can be dangerous (on some
systems, the memory you're trying to read from may be protected, in
which case your program might be aborted).

On the flip side, writing to memory you shouldn't write to can sometimes
be harmless, for several reasons.

First of all, your allocation request is quite likely to be rounded up
to a multiple of a block size - what the block size is depends upon the
implementation, and might depend upon the size of your request. For
instance, rounding requests up to the next power of 2 is one common
approach. The minimum block size is _Alignof(max_align_t), since the
pointer returned by malloc() must always be correctly aligned for any
type, even if the amount of memory allocated is too small to hold an
object of that type.

Secondly, any memory you write to might never be read again before the
end of the program, with the net result that nothing appears to go
wrong. Even if it is read, the value you write might happen to be one
that doesn't cause any problems.

Ben Bacarisse

Robbie Brown said:
The *issue* is 'overwriting memory is bad' and 'it's bad because you
might overwrite something that another part of the program needs'

I'm trying to understand exactly why this is, what are the possible
ramifications and how to avoid it.

I was maybe not clear. The issue *should* always be accessing beyond an
array. Even read access[1]. If you think this is not the big issue,
you've got something wrong about how you think about your programs.
Like I say, it's a raw beginners question.

I may have got the tone wrong, for which I apologise. I really do want
to make an important point. Writing undefined constructs is a big issue
and it has the disadvantage in C that you can't always tell you've done
it. Overwriting something else is not the issue, it's just the happy
accident that can sometimes reveal a previous error.

If you have access to a program called valgrind, get it immediately. It
is hugely useful for C programming, especially when you are starting out.
Thanks for the response.

[1] It's worse than that (even constructing an invalid pointer is an
error) but that is maybe a discussion for another day.

Eric Sosman

The *issue* is 'overwriting memory is bad' and 'it's bad because you
might overwrite something that another part of the program needs'

I'm trying to understand exactly why this is, what are the possible
ramifications and how to avoid it.

Like I say, it's a raw beginners question.

Let's say your program is calculating how much money you owe to
your loan shark, Vinnie "The Hacksaw" Goombatz. There's a variable
named `totalAmount' sitting in your program's memory, and as the
program tots up the usurious interest it accumulates a running total
in that variable. Unfortunately, due to an error elsewhere in the
program you overwrite the memory where `totalAmount' resides and
store a zero there. When the calculation finishes, the value of
`totalAmount' is therefore (incorrectly) zero instead of $1200.00,
so your program decides not to send Vinnie any money. And when
"The Hacksaw" becomes convinced you're holding out on him -- well,
I'll leave the ramifications to your imagination.

Avoiding such things is not always easy, because the C language
itself gives you very little help. If you allocate space for forty
bytes and instruct C to store fifty there, C will try to follow your
instructions -- "Trust the programmer" is the watchword. What happens
when you store the extra bytes? C itself doesn't say (it's "undefined
behavior"), but quite often you'll wind up scribbling on memory where
something else is stored. If you're lucky -- yes, "lucky" -- your
program may crash in the attempt to scribble, but that's by no means
a guaranteed outcome. The scribbling could even turn out to be
harmless (or apparently so), if what's in the scribbled-on region
isn't important -- for example, if you have a ten-character string at
the beginning of a hundred-character array and you deface the array's
second half, you may well get away with it.

For prevention, C itself offers little more than "Be Careful."
It's up to you to know how much memory you've allocated and color
inside the lines, it's up to you to avoid indexing that hundred-
character array at [100] or [733] or [-42]. Some C implementations
have tools to help track down such errors once they're made --
Valgrind is highly recommended -- but as always, prevention is
better than cure. Scrupulous care and never-sleeping vigilance
are prerequisites; following established patterns (like the one
Ben Bacarisse recommended) can help keep you on the rails.

JohnF

Ben Bacarisse said:
<snip>
By the way, you can reduce allocation size mistakes by using the
pattern:
var = malloc(sizeof *var * number_of_elements);

I'd usually use calloc here, in case extra bytes are needed
for proper alignment of each element, etc (though I'm not
specifically aware of other "etc"s here). You've got reasons
for malloc in this case, or other elaboration of the issue?

Robbie Brown

Robbie Brown said:
The *issue* is 'overwriting memory is bad' and 'it's bad because you
might overwrite something that another part of the program needs'

I'm trying to understand exactly why this is, what are the possible
ramifications and how to avoid it.

I was maybe not clear. The issue *should* always be accessing beyond an
array. Even read access[1]. If you think this is not the big issue,
you've got something wrong about how you think about your programs.

You're not kidding :)
I may have got the tone wrong, for which I apologise.

Not at all, I appreciate the time.
I really do want
to make an important point. Writing undefined constructs is a big issue
and it has the disadvantage in C that you can't always tell you've done
it. Overwriting something else is not the issue, it's just the happy
accident that can sometimes reveal a previous error.

If you have access to a program called valgrind, get it immediately. It
is hugely useful for C programming, especially when you are starting out.

Got it, compiling it ... gotta love FOSS.

Eric Sosman

I'd usually use calloc here, in case extra bytes are needed
for proper alignment of each element, etc (though I'm not
specifically aware of other "etc"s here). You've got reasons
for malloc in this case, or other elaboration of the issue?

`calloc(number_of_elements, sizeof *var)' will allocate the
same amount of memory with the same alignment as the malloc()
call will. The only difference is that if the multiplication
in the malloc() call overflows, malloc() might succeed (having
allocated too little space) where calloc() will detect the
problem and fail. And, of course, a successful calloc() will
zero the allocated memory before returning; in my experience
that's only occasionally useful.

If a `*var' needs special alignment, any padding or whatnot
to achieve that alignment is included in `sizeof *var'.

Malcolm McLean

On 26/01/14 13:15, Ben Bacarisse wrote:

The *issue* is 'overwriting memory is bad' and 'it's bad because you
might overwrite something that another part of the program needs'

I'm trying to understand exactly why this is, what are the possible
ramifications and how to avoid it.
A program is a delicate little device.

Implementations vary a bit, but typically you'll have a register dedicated to
the "stack pointer". This is incremented by a block with each function call,
and the local variables are placed in that block. When the function returns,
the stack pointer is put back to its original position.
So how does the system know how much space to allocate for local variables?
You might have a special location called "block size", which is always the
one immediately before stack top. So when a return is executed, the system
reads that variable, and subtracts it from the stack pointer.
Now what happens if you write one past an array which happened to be last in
your local variable list? You'll corrupt the block size variable. So the wrong
value will be subtracted from the stack, and all the variables in the calling
function will be declared to be in the wrong place.
This is so confusing that big systems like PCs usually implement stack top
protection, to shut the system down with an error message if this happens.
But on a lot of smaller systems, there is no such mechanism.

There are lots of similar things which can happen. Once you damage a program
by setting essentially a random memory location to essentially a random value,
you can't predict what the result will be. Programs are not robust, they're not
like physical objects which get steadily worse until they finally break.

JohnF

Eric Sosman said:
`calloc(number_of_elements, sizeof *var)' will allocate the
same amount of memory with the same alignment as the malloc()
call will. The only difference is that if the multiplication
in the malloc() call overflows, malloc() might succeed (having
allocated too little space) where calloc() will detect the
problem and fail. And, of course, a successful calloc() will
zero the allocated memory before returning; in my experience
that's only occasionally useful.
If a `*var' needs special alignment, any padding or whatnot
to achieve that alignment is included in `sizeof *var'.

Okay, thanks Eric. But suppose you're allocating memory for
an array of doubles, that needs to be aligned on a doubleword
boundary. Then our alternatives are
double *array = (double *)calloc(number_of_elements, sizeof double);
double *array = (double *)malloc(number_of_elements * sizeof double);
calloc might or might not align array on a doubleword boundary,
but at least it has the info available to do that if it wants to.
malloc is obviously out of luck, want to or not.
By the way, if you're implicitly telling me calloc won't align
array on a doubleword, then how would I get that done?

Ben Bacarisse

JohnF said:
Okay, thanks Eric. But suppose you're allocating memory for
an array of doubles, that needs to be aligned on a doubleword
boundary. Then our alternatives are
double *array = (double *)calloc(number_of_elements, sizeof double);
double *array = (double *)malloc(number_of_elements * sizeof double);

I prefer:

double *array = calloc(number_of_elements, sizeof *array);
double *array = malloc(number_of_elements * sizeof *array);
calloc might or might not align array on a doubleword boundary,
but at least it has the info available to do that if it wants to.
malloc is obviously out of luck, want to or not.

malloc must align its storage so that it is suitable for all uses. So
must calloc. If you need extra alignment, that will usually depend on
more that just the size of the unit of allocation, so calloc will rarely
have any more to go on.
By the way, if you're implicitly telling me calloc won't align
array on a doubleword, then how would I get that done?

Both will align the storage in some implementation-dependent way that is
considered "suitable". It has to be a bit vague, because two
implementations may choose different speed/space trade-offs and both be
correct as far as the language specification is concerned.

If you need more, you will often find that it's provided. For example
a vector math package might provide a special vm_alloc function give you
whatever extra alignment the vector processor needs. If not, you will
have to fallback on doing the address arithmetic yourself.

Robbie Brown

That depends on what something being the issue means. Indexing beyond
the bounds of an array (or, as here, allocated storage) is undefined
behaviour (and that applies to reads as much as to writes) and avoiding
undefined constructs is a big issue for me.

Something particularly bad might have happened only when you stamped on
some particular location, but that's more a accident that anything
else. It's not what I'd call the issue.

By the way, you can reduce allocation size mistakes by using the
pattern:

var = malloc(sizeof *var * number_of_elements);

I have valgrind working and it certainly indicates a problem ... but I
don't understand the above (duh!). I think someone else mentioned
something like this before and I didn't get then either (duh! duh!)

var[1] = malloc(sizeof *var[2] * number_of_elements);

1. I thought malloc returned a pointer
2. If I want an int (32 bits on this machine) why ask for a pointer to
int (64 bits)

so

int *i = malloc(sizeof(int));
should give me a 64 bit pointer to a 32 bit int

Sorry for being so thick, can you elucidate please.

Eric Sosman

Okay, thanks Eric. But suppose you're allocating memory for
an array of doubles, that needs to be aligned on a doubleword
boundary. Then our alternatives are
double *array = (double *)calloc(number_of_elements, sizeof double);
double *array = (double *)malloc(number_of_elements * sizeof double);
calloc might or might not align array on a doubleword boundary,
but at least it has the info available to do that if it wants to.
malloc is obviously out of luck, want to or not.

Not out of luck, not at all. The pointer returned by a
successful malloc() or calloc() or realloc() "is suitably aligned
so that it may be assigned to a pointer to any type of object with
a fundamental alignment requirement and then used to access such an
object or an array of such objects in the space allocated" (from
section 7.22.3 of the C Language Standard).
By the way, if you're implicitly telling me calloc won't align
array on a doubleword, then how would I get that done?

As the quote above says, calloc() et al. will always align
for the most restrictive alignment any type needs. That may or
may not be "a doubleword." If you actually need "doubleword"
alignment and your C implementation supports the latest ("C11")
version of the Standard, you can use the aligned_alloc() function.
You never need aligned_alloc() just to meet the requirements of
the types you'll store in the allocated area, but you may need it
to get memory that's more strictly aligned than necessary --
"page-aligned" memory, for example.

Kaz Kylheku

I'm trying to understand the issues surrounding overwriting memory.
To this end I have the following (truncated) gdb session.

The main question is at the end and probably appears naive in the
extreme. I'm just checking my understanding.

First a deliberate mistake
I apparently declare an array of pointers to int
but only allocate enough space for int

int **pr4 = malloc(sizeof(int) * 5);

This mistake won't even show up as a problem if sizeof (int *) happens to be
equal to (or even smaller) than sizeof (int). It will bite you later when you
port to another system. (E.g. 64 bit pointers, 32 bit ints.)

One way to reduce a mistake of this type is to reduce manual repetititon:

int **pr4 = malloc(sizeof *pr4 * 5); /* or: sizeof pr4[0] */
It appears that I can go well beyond the allocated space and still
access the memory without problem, it doesn't appear to be an issue

According to ISO C, it is well-defined to displace a pointer one increment
past the end of an array-like object. Accessing that location or storing
to it is undefined behavior, and so is any other out-of-bounds activity:
merely incrementing the pointer beyond the one-past location.

This undefined-ness permits C implementations (or, if not the implementations
as such, then their debugging tools) to diagnose such problems very early, at
the level of pointer arithmetic that is being used to produce an out-of-bounds
pointer, even if that pointer is never used.

In practice, you can often read memory beyond objects without any ill
effects.

However:

* You may hit some kind of memory access fault if you go too far.
For instance, you may hit an unmapped page in a virtual memory system.
Or, in a small embedded system, perhaps a memory location to which
no hardware is attached, which triggers a timeout and bus error.
If the object that you've gone beyond is located tightly against such
a region, then accessing just one byte past it can trigger this problem.

* You also have a problem if your program depends on the values pulled
from out of bounds. (This is invariably the case, unless the out-of-bounds
access is part of a loop optimization whose logic ensures that the
data isn't used.) Even if these values aren't some kind of "trap
representation" that bombs the program, their use is a bug.
What *does* appear to be the issue however is that the additional memory
I have 'stolen' may be in use by another part of the program. I have
overwritten this memory despite not asking for it and that may cause
problems elsewhere. *This* appears to be the issue.

***
Is this correct
***

No. After you have identified *an* issue, you have to think of as many more
as possible.

JohnF

Eric Sosman said:
[...]

Okay, thanks again. So I take it I can safely and portably say
double *array = (double *)malloc(number_of_elements * sizeof double);
for ( i=0; i<number_of_elements; i++ ) array = (double)(i*i);
or some such. That is, complying malloc (and calloc) has to return
ptrs so that all such float/double operations will work okay
on array addressed in that typical way.

JohnF

Ben Bacarisse said:
I prefer:
double *array = calloc(number_of_elements, sizeof *array);
double *array = malloc(number_of_elements * sizeof *array);

Okay, so you're saying regardless of type (int, double, char, whatever)
ANY_TYPE *array = malloc(number_of_elements * sizeof *array);
will work, i.e., sizeof *array evaluates as sizeof ANY_TYPE ?
Yeah, I guess that looks right, in principle, though I did have
to look twice (and wouldn't have been surprised if you'd told me
it didn't always work in practice).
malloc must align its storage so that it is suitable for all uses. So
must calloc. If you need extra alignment, that will usually depend on
more that just the size of the unit of allocation, so calloc will rarely
have any more to go on.

Both will align the storage in some implementation-dependent way that is
considered "suitable". It has to be a bit vague, because two
implementations may choose different speed/space trade-offs and both be
correct as far as the language specification is concerned.

If you need more, you will often find that it's provided. For example
a vector math package might provide a special vm_alloc function give you
whatever extra alignment the vector processor needs. If not, you will
have to fallback on doing the address arithmetic yourself.

Thanks, haven't yet come across situations where I've needed more
than the default alignment guaranteed by m/calloc as you and Eric
have described it. But will keep that additional stuff in mind for
future reference.

Ben Bacarisse

Robbie Brown said:
On 26/01/14 13:15, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
By the way, you can reduce allocation size mistakes by using the
pattern:

var = malloc(sizeof *var * number_of_elements);

I have valgrind working and it certainly indicates a problem ... but I
don't understand the above (duh!). I think someone else mentioned
something like this before and I didn't get then either (duh! duh!)

var[1] = malloc(sizeof *var[2] * number_of_elements);

The idea is whatever is on the left is written with * in front on the
right, so I'd have put sizeof *var[1] there, myself.
1. I thought malloc returned a pointer

Yes. presumably in my example var is a pointer object. In yours,
var[1] must be a pointer object. sizeof *var[1] is the size of the type
of object pointed to var var[1].
2. If I want an int (32 bits on this machine) why ask for a pointer to
int (64 bits)

I'm baffled! sizeof can be applied to an expression. It does not evaluate the
expression, it just looks to see what type it is and uses that type to
determine the size. See below...
so

int *i = malloc(sizeof(int));
should give me a 64 bit pointer to a 32 bit int

But int *i = malloc(sizeof *i); also works. i is of type 'int *' so *i
is of type 'int'.
Sorry for being so thick, can you elucidate please.

Not knowing stuff is not at all the same as being thick. We all started
off knowing no C at all.

Eric Sosman

[...]
Okay, thanks again. So I take it I can safely and portably say
double *array = (double *)malloc(number_of_elements * sizeof double);

`sizeof(double)' -- the parentheses are mandatory when you're
applying `sizeof' to a type name rather than to an expression.
for ( i=0; i<number_of_elements; i++ ) array = (double)(i*i);

The cast is either unnecessary or misplaced (`(double)i * i'
might be what you meant, if `i' could be large).
or some such. That is, complying malloc (and calloc) has to return
ptrs so that all such float/double operations will work okay
on array addressed in that typical way.

Right: The pointer returned by a successful call is suitably
aligned for every C data type. The pointer returned by an
*unsuccessful* call, though, is NULL -- so for "safely and
portably" you should check before plowing ahead and using it.

Also, take another look at the pattern Ben Bacarisse showed.
You've written (paraphrased)

Type *array = (Type*) malloc(N * sizeof(Type));
while he wrote
Type *array = malloc(N * sizeof *array);

There are two differences, one fairly minor and one of moderate
importance:

- It's unnecessary to cast the value returned by malloc()
(or calloc(), etc.). That value has the type `void*',
which will convert to any other data pointer type without
need for a cast.

- Writing `sizeof *array' instead of `sizeof(Type)' means
it's impossible to get the type wrong and ask for `int'
elements when you really meant `int*'. Such slip-ups
occur (in my experience) either from writing the wrong
number of `*'s or when dealing with a lot of similarly-
named but distinct types, as in

MessageHeader *hdr = malloc(sizeof(MessageHeader));
MessagePayload *msg = malloc(sizeof(MessageHeader)); // ?

Even the second of these is only of moderate importance, but
recall what I wrote earlier: The C language gives you very little
assistance in avoiding errors of this sort, so the burden is almost
entirely on you. Don't make your job any harder than it already is.

Ben Bacarisse

JohnF said:
Ben Bacarisse <[email protected]> wrote:

Okay, so you're saying regardless of type (int, double, char, whatever)
ANY_TYPE *array = malloc(number_of_elements * sizeof *array);
will work, i.e., sizeof *array evaluates as sizeof ANY_TYPE ?

Yes. Although it is even more general that this. For example, to
allocate a triangular array:

double **triangle = malloc(rows * sizeof *triangle);
for (int r = 0; r < rows; r++)
triangle[r] = malloc((r + 1) * sizeof *triangle[r]);

You use * of whatever is being assigned to get the right size.
Yeah, I guess that looks right, in principle, though I did have
to look twice (and wouldn't have been surprised if you'd told me
it didn't always work in practice).

There might be a corner case or two. I can't think of one off hand.

How about something my complex. You use arrays of three numbers to
represent some important data about things (points in space, grades in
final exams, whatever). You don't know how many things, so you need
malloc. Start with the declaration:

double (*data)[3]; // A pointer to arrays of 3 doubles

Once you know how many:

data = malloc(how_many * sizeof *data);

If you decide the data needs to float, or you need 4 pieces of per
thing, or it should really be a structure for each thing, you just
change the declaration.

<snip>