Overwriting "Please wait" after long process

p byers

I once used some script in a Classic Active Server Page that instantly
sent a message to the client saying something like:

"Please wait - this will take a while"

Then when the processing was complete, the results overwrote that
message.

Please remind me how to do it

Pete (Northolt UK)

Evertjan.

p byers wrote on 20 dec 2009 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
I once used some script in a Classic Active Server Page that instantly
sent a message to the client saying something like:

"Please wait - this will take a while"

Then when the processing was complete, the results overwrote that
message.

Please remind me how to do it

You cannot send messages to the client,
the client haas to ask for information.

Such servitude is the plight a server.

However the client page can use Ajax like techniques to ask,
using clientside code and ask this asp page:

<%
response.expires = -100
if session("buzy") then
response.write "Please wait - this will take a while"
end if
%>

Tim Slattery

p byers said:
I once used some script in a Classic Active Server Page that instantly
sent a message to the client saying something like:

"Please wait - this will take a while"

Then when the processing was complete, the results overwrote that
message.

Please remind me how to do it

Response.Buffer=false

Causes anything generated by the ASP page code to be immediately sent
to the client, instead of being held until the entire page has been
created.