Page Caching - Is this the solution.

DJ Dev

Basically, I have a web app which has a step-by-step flow. So the user
fills a form, hits next and is taken to the next page, where the user
enters more information in form. There are around 5 steps for the user
to complete. Each step is on a different page.

The problem is that at any point the user should be able to go back
and see what he has filled in the previous screens.
How should this be achieved? Should I cache (at client?) the pages
completed by the user, so when the user hits the browser back button,
the pages with data is visible.
OR
Should I cache the viewstate of all the pages and check on every page
- if Viewstate Cache for that page exist, then get everything from
ViewState.
OR
There s any other recommender solution!!!!
Thanks

Martin Dechev

You can make a user control for each page you have now and leave the
ViewState of the page worry about the persistance of the input.

The problem with this situation is that the ViewState for the page gets
quite large. I recommend either enabling http compression on the information
server or storing the ViewState on the server.

Hope this helps
Martin

coollzh

i think you should make five panel ,and just hidden before and show next
panel when user fill the next form. when user go back,you can just show
before and hidden the current panel. it's simply

Scott M.

This is what I was going to suggest. I think it is a much better approach
than having 5 web pages.