parse GET/POST data on simple http server

Markus

Hi,

As a beginner in python, I am looking for example code that would help
me understand how to
code following idea:
1. Start minimal http server
2. Send GET or POST data (url encoded, or from form) - example
Name="Foo"
3. Analyze the GET/POST variable value on server and match to
different value
example 'if Name = "Foo" then retval = "Bar" '
4. serve the content of retval back to user as plain html

If some code snipped that does implement all or part of the algorithm
is known to you, please point me to it. I would be thankful for any
push to the right direction.

Thank you!

Corey Richardson

Hi,

As a beginner in python, I am looking for example code that would help
me understand how to
code following idea:
1. Start minimal http server
2. Send GET or POST data (url encoded, or from form) - example
Name="Foo"
3. Analyze the GET/POST variable value on server and match to
different value
example 'if Name = "Foo" then retval = "Bar" '
4. serve the content of retval back to user as plain html

If some code snipped that does implement all or part of the algorithm
is known to you, please point me to it. I would be thankful for any
push to the right direction.

Thank you!

If you really can't use a 'real' webserver like Apache, I found [1]. Not
sure how to use it, never had the need to. The documentation will show
you the way, however. Using that and the cgi module, your requirements
should be fulfilled.

Corey Richardson

Hi,

As a beginner in python, I am looking for example code that would help
me understand how to
code following idea:
1. Start minimal http server
2. Send GET or POST data (url encoded, or from form) - example
Name="Foo"
3. Analyze the GET/POST variable value on server and match to
different value
example 'if Name = "Foo" then retval = "Bar" '
4. serve the content of retval back to user as plain html

If some code snipped that does implement all or part of the algorithm
is known to you, please point me to it. I would be thankful for any
push to the right direction.

Thank you!

[1] http://docs.python.org/library/cgihttpserver.html#module-CGIHTTPServer

....Sorry about that. I shouldn't post late at night!

Chris Rebert

http://docs.python.org/library/basehttpserver.html
http://docs.python.org/library/simplehttpserver.html

http://docs.python.org/library/urllib.html#urllib.urlencode

http://docs.python.org/library/cgi.html

4. serve the content of retval back to user as plain html

If some code snipped that does implement all or part of the algorithm
is known to you, please point me to it. I would be thankful for any
push to the right direction.

You'll be reinventing quite a few wheels if you work at such a low
level of abstraction. Have you considered using a web framework?
Django (http://www.djangoproject.com/ ) is one of the popular ones,
though there are a myriad of options
(http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks ). I would recommend
learning Python first and then a web framework, rather than trying to
learn both in tandem.

Cheers,
Chris

Markus

You'll be reinventing quite a few wheels if you work at such a low
level of abstraction. Have you considered using a web framework?
Django (http://www.djangoproject.com/) is one of the popular ones,
though there are a myriad of options
(http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks). I would recommend
learning Python first and then a web framework, rather than trying to
learn both in tandem.

Cheers,
Chris
--http://blog.rebertia.com

Thank you for all that input, I will definitely check Django - it
looks very interesting.
I just found an example code that fits perfectly and is simple enough
for me to play with it.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/336866/how-to-implement-a-minimal-server-for-ajax-in-python
And one older post handling the same case with HTTPS:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp...?lnk=gst&q=server+parse+post#2ff6f704b3a6749a

:eek:)