parsing a tab delimited or CSV, but keep the delimiter

Alex

Lew said:
I searched on "Java Text::CSV" and got the hits I said I got - none of the
first ten hits were CPAN, eight of them were HXTT. Those were my results. I
said what I said based on what I experienced. You can make all the claims you
want on what I would get if I searched; I told you what I did get when I searched.

Yes, but you didn't tell us /what/ you searched for. Unless stated
otherwise, it is reasonable to expect that the search string is
"Text::CSV" and nothing else. Your touchy reaction to "being expected to
know" what link to follow is irrelevant unless we know what you're
searching for. Ah well... Peace!

Lew

Alex said:
Yes, but you didn't tell us /what/ you searched for. Unless stated
otherwise, it is reasonable to expect that the search string is
"Text::CSV" and nothing else. Your touchy reaction to "being expected to
know" what link to follow is irrelevant unless we know what you're
searching for. Ah well... Peace!

And given that the OP asked for a Java solution it is reasonable to assume
that that was the space of the answer. /Of course/ I didn't think a Perl
solution was intended in that context.

I was surprised by the supercilious and contemptuous, not to say parochial
attitude of the Perl respondents to that request.

-- Lew

Charlton Wilbur

L> I was surprised by the supercilious and contemptuous, not to
L> say parochial attitude of the Perl respondents to that request.

The Perl newsgroup and other support fora are inundated with requests
from people who think that "Perl" and "regular expression" are
synonymous, and participants in those fora grow tired of debunking
that canard and explaining parsing to people who want a quick answer.
(No, you *can't* reliably parse HTML with a single regular expression.
Not even if you beg.)

Charlton

Alex

Lew said:
And given that the OP asked for a Java solution it is reasonable to assume
that that was the space of the answer. /Of course/ I didn't think a Perl
solution was intended in that context.

And why? The OP was crossposted to a Perl ng, which implies - unless
stated otherwise - that a solution in either language is acceptable.
Otherwise, why crosspost?
I was surprised by the supercilious and contemptuous, not to say parochial
attitude of the Perl respondents to that request.

Bah! Pot, kettle, black. You excluded non-Java solutions without having
the courtesy of mentioning it and got all offended when informed that
your scope was too narrow.

Lew

Alex said:
And why? The OP was crossposted to a Perl ng, which implies - unless
stated otherwise - that a solution in either language is acceptable.
Otherwise, why crosspost?

Bah! Pot, kettle, black. You excluded non-Java solutions without having
the courtesy of mentioning it and got all offended when informed that
your scope was too narrow.

If characterizing the conversation that way makes you feel better ...

-- Lew

Patricia Shanahan

Alex said:
And why? The OP was crossposted to a Perl ng, which implies - unless
stated otherwise - that a solution in either language is acceptable.
Otherwise, why crosspost?

In this particular case, it was stated otherwise. From the base message
of the thread: "I am cross posting this in the Perl and Java groups
because, my implementation is in Java, but Perl users use regexp far
more frequently."

Patricia

Tad McClellan

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.perl.misc.]
Patricia Shanahan said:
In this particular case, it was stated otherwise. From the base message
of the thread: "I am cross posting this in the Perl and Java groups
because, my implementation is in Java, but Perl users use regexp far
more frequently."

I noted that in the OP and took the appropriate action some time later.

Alex

Patricia said:
In this particular case, it was stated otherwise. From the base message
of the thread: "I am cross posting this in the Perl and Java groups
because, my implementation is in Java, but Perl users use regexp far
more frequently."

I know what the OP said, and he's just stating that his implementation
is in Java. He's not saying that all the other solutions are useless.
Many of us are proficient in many languages and he might be able to
translate that solution or indeed use the language of the proposed
solution. In short: if you post in a Perl ng, you're going to get a Perl
answer. It's the same with other languages.

I'm done with this thread.