Passing arguments to exe

kyosohma

I have created what amounts to a simple GUI email sending program
using Python + wxPython. I have modified the mailto registration in
the Windows Registry so that it launches the script when someone
clicks on someone's email link in a web page.

While this works great if I create a convoluted path command as the
registry entry and pass in the email argument to the script, it
doesn't work at all if I turn my python file into an exe using py2exe.

How does one get a python file to accept arguments when said script
has been turned into an executable?

I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious. I am using Python 2.4 on
Window XP SP2.

Thanks,

Mike

John Machin

I have created what amounts to a simple GUI email sending program
using Python + wxPython. I have modified the mailto registration in
the Windows Registry so that it launches the script when someone
clicks on someone's email link in a web page.

While this works great if I create a convoluted path command as the
registry entry and pass in the email argument to the script,

It would help if you would give an actual code example of what you
mean by "convoluted path command" and "pass in the email argument to
the script".
it
doesn't work at all if I turn my python file into an exe using py2exe.

"it doesn't work" is user-speak. What does it do? Does it execute the
executable at all? If not, check your "convoluted path". If so, what
arguments are received?
How does one get a python file to accept arguments when said script
has been turned into an executable?

If the script is expecting its arguments in sys.argv, I would expect
that to work with an executable also. My guess is that you are falling
foul of some argument-quoting problem. I also guess that you have not
tried something like the following at the start of your script:

print >> your_log_file, "sys.argv:", repr(sys.argv)

and run it both as a script and an executable.

Have you tried running the executable stand-alone e.g. Start | Run,
type in
your_exe_file (e-mail address removed)
or whatever the argument(s) are?

HTH,
John

kyosohma

It would help if you would give an actual code example of what you
mean by "convoluted path command" and "pass in the email argument to
the script".

Ok, I modify HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command to do this:

cmd /C "SET PYTHONHOME=\\servername\NETLOGON\Python24&&\\servername
\netlogon\python24\python.exe \\path\to\my\script\wxsendmail.py %1"

"it doesn't work" is user-speak.

I've written posts where I've been quite technical and gotten very
little to no response...admittedly, this was pretty vague though...

What does it do? Does it execute the
executable at all? If not, check your "convoluted path". If so, what
arguments are received?

The executable runs, but no argument appears to get passed into it. Of
course, I don't really know that for sure as the executable doesn't
redirect stdout/stderr. I tried doing something like this in the above
reg entry:

cmd /C "c:\program files\myProg.exe %1"
"c:\program files\myProg.exe %1"
"c:\program files\myProg.exe"

None of those worked.
If the script is expecting its arguments in sys.argv, I would expect
that to work with an executable also. My guess is that you are falling
foul of some argument-quoting problem. I also guess that you have not
tried something like the following at the start of your script:

print >> your_log_file, "sys.argv:", repr(sys.argv)

and run it both as a script and an executable.

I do have my script set up to find its arguments in sys.argv. And no,
I don't have that print screen. As mentioned above, I don't have a
console window open when the exe runs, so I won't see any output from
it. I'll have to modify it to do that when I'm back at my work PC.
Have you tried running the executable stand-alone e.g. Start | Run,
type in
your_exe_file (e-mail address removed)
or whatever the argument(s) are?

No, but that's a good idea. Why didn't I think of that!? (don't answer
that)
HTH,
John

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mike

John Machin

Ok, I modify HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command to do this:

cmd /C "SET PYTHONHOME=\\servername\NETLOGON\Python24&&\\servername
\netlogon\python24\python.exe \\path\to\my\script\wxsendmail.py %1"

I've written posts where I've been quite technical and gotten very
little to no response...admittedly, this was pretty vague though...

The executable runs,

how do you know it runs?
but no argument appears to get passed into it.
appears??

Of
course, I don't really know that for sure as the executable doesn't
redirect stdout/stderr. I tried doing something like this in the above
reg entry:

cmd /C "c:\program files\myProg.exe %1"
"c:\program files\myProg.exe %1"
"c:\program files\myProg.exe"

None of those worked.

I do have my script set up to find its arguments in sys.argv. And no,
I don't have that print screen.

"""print >> your_log_file,""" implies "print screen"?
As mentioned above, I don't have a
console window open when the exe runs, so I won't see any output from
it. I'll have to modify it to do that when I'm back at my work PC.

No, but that's a good idea. Why didn't I think of that!? (don't answer
that)

OK, I won't :)
Thanks for the suggestions.

You're welcome.

kyosohma

how do you know it runs?

because the program's GUI appears on-screen.

appears??

Since the TO field doesn't get populated with the email address, it
doesn't appear to receive it as an argument. Whereas if I run it as a
script, it does receive the email address.

Mike

Dennis Lee Bieber

The executable runs, but no argument appears to get passed into it. Of
course, I don't really know that for sure as the executable doesn't
redirect stdout/stderr. I tried doing something like this in the above
reg entry:

cmd /C "c:\program files\myProg.exe %1"
"c:\program files\myProg.exe %1"
"c:\program files\myProg.exe"
What happens if you put the %1 OUTSIDE the quotes...

cmd /c "c:\program files\myProg.exe" "%1"

After all, if the quotes are being used to keep the command line seeing
"program files" as a single term in the path, then your quotes are also
treating "myProg.exe %1" as a single term.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

kyosohma

What happens if you put the %1 OUTSIDE the quotes...

cmd /c "c:\program files\myProg.exe" "%1"

After all, if the quotes are being used to keep the command line seeing
"program files" as a single term in the path, then your quotes are also
treating "myProg.exe %1" as a single term.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/