    Window XP SP2.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    kyosohma, Dec 14, 2007

  2. kyosohma

    John Machin Guest

    It would help if you would give an actual code example of what you
    mean by "convoluted path command" and "pass in the email argument to
    the script".
    "it doesn't work" is user-speak. What does it do? Does it execute the
    executable at all? If not, check your "convoluted path". If so, what
    arguments are received?
    If the script is expecting its arguments in sys.argv, I would expect
    that to work with an executable also. My guess is that you are falling
    foul of some argument-quoting problem. I also guess that you have not
    tried something like the following at the start of your script:

    print >> your_log_file, "sys.argv:", repr(sys.argv)

    and run it both as a script and an executable.

    Have you tried running the executable stand-alone e.g. Start | Run,
    type in
    your_exe_file
    or whatever the argument(s) are?

    HTH,
    John

    John Machin, Dec 14, 2007

  3. kyosohma

    kyosohma Guest

    Ok, I modify HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command to do this:

    cmd /C "SET PYTHONHOME=\\servername\NETLOGON\Python24&&\\servername
    \netlogon\python24\python.exe \\path\to\my\script\wxsendmail.py %1"

    I've written posts where I've been quite technical and gotten very
    little to no response...admittedly, this was pretty vague though...

    The executable runs, but no argument appears to get passed into it. Of
    course, I don't really know that for sure as the executable doesn't
    redirect stdout/stderr. I tried doing something like this in the above
    reg entry:

    cmd /C "c:\program files\myProg.exe %1"
    "c:\program files\myProg.exe %1"
    "c:\program files\myProg.exe"

    None of those worked.

    I do have my script set up to find its arguments in sys.argv. And no,
    I don't have that print screen. As mentioned above, I don't have a
    console window open when the exe runs, so I won't see any output from
    it. I'll have to modify it to do that when I'm back at my work PC.
    No, but that's a good idea. Why didn't I think of that!? (don't answer
    that)
    Thanks for the suggestions.

    Mike

    kyosohma, Dec 15, 2007
  4. kyosohma

    John Machin Guest

    how do you know it runs?
    """print >> your_log_file,""" implies "print screen"?
    OK, I won't :)
    You're welcome.

    John Machin, Dec 15, 2007
  5. kyosohma

    kyosohma Guest

    because the program's GUI appears on-screen.

    Since the TO field doesn't get populated with the email address, it
    doesn't appear to receive it as an argument. Whereas if I run it as a
    script, it does receive the email address.

    Mike

    kyosohma, Dec 15, 2007
  6. What happens if you put the %1 OUTSIDE the quotes...

    cmd /c "c:\program files\myProg.exe" "%1"

    After all, if the quotes are being used to keep the command line seeing
    "program files" as a single term in the path, then your quotes are also
    treating "myProg.exe %1" as a single term.
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG

    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    (Bestiaria Support Staff: )