passing external data to web forms

M L

(Note: If you just skim this and can tell me how to pass data from an
external program to a web form, that's all I need, and the rest is
just what I'd like to have.)

This is probably extremely simple when you know what you're doing. I
figured I'd see if I could find a kind soul who
could give me some code samples. Here's what I need to do:

1. Receive email via IMAP-IDLE
2. Parse the email to see if it contains certain text
3. Open a browser window with the following variables based on what
that text is
a. URL
b. username
c. password

Specifically, I'm needing to login to a particular website, and which
username I use varies based on it being specified in the email. I
tried to do this with a combination of message filters in Thunderbird
and command line arguments in Firefox, but it can't quite do
everything I need.

My real problem is how to get the username and password passed to the
browser. Also, you should know that the server to which I'm connecting
is a site to which I subscribe, not my own, so I can't run anything
sever-side. Also, if possible, having this just fill whatever the
first html form field it comes to with the username and the second
with the password would be great, though not necessary if that's
significantly more complicated than it filling them based on a
specific name. I don't anticipate the site changing the names of those
fields, but I'd like to not have to redo the code if it does.

Finally, and again just a preference not a requirement, I feel that it
would be easier to have an external file that stores the usernames and
passwords that could be referenced to load them based on the email
contents rather than having the usernames and passwords hardcoded.
However, I'm only needing about half a dozen, so if it's significantly
simpler, I'll go with that.

Thanks for any help!

-ML

Tim Chase

Specifically, I'm needing to login to a particular website,
and which username I use varies based on it being specified
in the email.

Are you in control of this email generation (that is, can you
generate an email with an HTML form within, or is this email
coming from a 3rd-party)?

Creating an HTML-email with a form to submit the
username/password isn't a flawless solution because many folks
(self included) configure their mail-reader to only display
plain-text and ignore HTML components.
My real problem is how to get the username and password
passed to the browser.

If you can't create an HTML form in the source email, then it
depends on what the web-server is expecting -- a GET (bad for
users, good for you) or a POST (good web practice, but a pain for
you). If the web login form is maldesigned and uses a GET
submission, you can just parse the email body for the fields and
generate a link of the form

http://example.com/login?user=jsmith&pass=SeKrEt

However, if the website creates expects a POST to login (good
design so credentials don't get saved in history, or get
bookmarked accidentally), then you have to either

1) do some dark browser-specific hackery, perhaps with a bit of
urllib magic to kludge the session into an active browser. Not a
particularly inviting solution to implement.

2) generate a temporary HTML file with the prepopulated form in
it, point the browser at that page and either (2a) have the user
click on the [submit] button, and/or (2b) have a little
JavaScript that clicks the [submit] button (or calls
form.submit() more likely) after the temp-page is loaded. I'd do
both in the event the user has JS turned off in their browser
(again, that'd be me, thanks to NoScript). This temporary HTML
file could be scraped (via urllib) from the login url itself, or
hard-coded if you expect it to be of the same format for each
website.

My crack at it looks something like
##########################
from sys import exit, stderr
from tempfile import NamedTemporaryFile
import email
import imaplib
import os
import re
import time
import urllib
import webbrowser

url_re = re.compile(r'\burl:\s*(http://.*)')
user_re = re.compile(r'\buser(?:name)?:\s*(.*)')
pass_re = re.compile(r'\bpass(?:word)?:\s*(.*)')

class MissingField(Exception): pass

IMAP = imaplib.IMAP4_SSL

def get_email(host, username, password):
# ...
for message in messages_I_care_about:
yield message

def fields(msg):
url_m = url_re.search(msg)
if not url_m: raise MissingField("No URL")
user_m = user_re.search(msg)
if not user_m: raise MissingField("No username")
pass_m = pass_re.search(msg)
if not pass_m: raise MissingField("No password")
return [m.group(1).strip() for m in (url_m, user_m, pass_m)]

def create_temp_html(url, username, password):
f = NamedTemporaryFile(mode='w', suffix='.html')
# HTML hard-coded here, but could be
# scraped from the site, parsed with BeautifulSoup
# searched for the form/uname/pwd values
# and more programatically generated
# but this is the lazy version you get for free ;-)
f.write("""<html>
<head>
<title>Some Title</title>
</head>
Hang on...time to log in...
<form id="f" method="POST" url="%s">
<input type="text" value="%s" name="username"><br>
<input type="password" value="%s" name="password"><br>
<input type="submit" value="Log In">
</form>
""" % (
url,
urllib.quote_plus(username),
urllib.quote_plus(password),
)
)
f.flush()
return f

if __name__ == "__main__":
HOST = 'mail.example.com'
USER = '(e-mail address removed)'
PASS = 'SecretEmailPassword'
EXPECTED_SENDER = '(e-mail address removed)'

for message in get_email(HOST, USER, PASS):
msg = email.message_from_string(message)
# if you don't want to limit the sender
# delete/comment the next 3 lines
if EXPECTED_SENDER not in msg['from'].lower():
print "Unexpected sender...ignoring %r" % msg['subject']
continue

for part in msg.walk():
# you may not want to skip HTML portions or other
# MIME-types like attachments, but whatever
if part.get_content_type() != 'text/plain': continue

try:
url, username, password = fields(msg.get_payload())
print url, username, password
except MissingField, e:
print e
continue
f = create_temp_html(url, username, password)
stderr.write(
"Opening %r in %s\n" %
(f.name, webbrowser.get().basename.title()))
webbrowser.open(f.name)
time.sleep(30) # wait for the browser to load the file
# otherwise this .close() will delete it
# before the web-browser could open it
f.close()

Adjust regexps to find your URL/uname/pwd as desired, create the
get_email() iterator that finds all the messages in your inbox
that match your criteria (such as "not already seen, has XYZ in
the subject, etc")

I'm not 100% sure of my JavaScript in the form.onload but you can
also tweak that if your JS is enabled and you want to tinker with
it for auto-login.

-tkc