passing variables to a user control

Guest

Hi

I'm new to C#, moving from ASP, and slightly confused so bear with me!

Basically I've got 4 pages, each of which runs the same user control (some
header information). I want to be able to change the data in the user control
based on the page (everything else would be duplicated, hence the user
control).

Anyway, i thought the easiest way would be to use a variable set in the
Page_load event of the calling page. So I've got a variable defined in my
page class as..

public int pageID = 1;

However, when I try to access that from the user control, it says the
variable is not defined in the namespace. What am i missing!?!

Alternatively, I could use a URL object to get the page were on directly in
the usercontrol, but I couldnt find a URL method/property to give me just the
file name.

Hope all that makes sense!

Cheers

Dan

Guest

You should try to put a public property on your user control. In your html
code set your property.

<uc1:UserControl id="MyControl" runat="server"
MyPublicProp="1"></uc1:UserControl>

If you want to do this from code, first, you should declare your user
control in your page because visual studion didn't do this by default.

it should look like this
protected MyPath.To.Control.ControlName MyControl;
after this you can acces your control properties normally..

MyControl.MyPublicProp ="1";

Cheers

Martin Dechev

Hi,

Create an interface. eg:

public interface ICommonPage
{
int PageID{get;}
}

then implement it in the classes that contain the usercontrol in question
like this:

public class page1 : System.Web.UI.Page, ICommonPage
{
//Hardcode the value in a field:
int _PageID = 1; // or 2 in page2, 3 in page3, etc.

// The actual implementation:
public ICommonPage.PageID
{
get{return _PageID;}
}

// the rest of the class as it is...
}

And finally in the usercontrol cast the Page property to the interface and
get the value:

int PageID = ((ICommonPage)Page).PageID;

// work with PageID...

Hope this helps
Martin

Guest

Thanks guys!

Psychos post solved it, I guess you would say, the easy way! However,
Martin's solution looks interesting.. might try that one when I know a bit
more about C# (only got it Friday!).

Would there be any advantage with ICommonPage over the second method that
Psycho suggested?

Cheers guys

Dan