PAUSE vs. $VERSION

Ivan Shmakov

As per the PAUSE recommendation [1], I check my modules to have
the proper $VERSION information:

$ perl -MExtUtils::MakeMaker \
-le 'print MM->parse_version (shift)' lib/Tree/Range.pm
0.21
$

... or, rather:

$ perl -e 'use common::sense;
use ExtUtils::MakeMaker;
print (MM->parse_version ($_), "\t", $_, "\n")
foreach (@ARGV);' \
$(find lib/Tree/ -name \*.pm)
0.21 lib/Tree/Range/base.pm
0.21 lib/Tree/Range.pm
$

[1] http://pause.perl.org/pause/query?ACTION=pause_04about#version

Now, the PAUSE namespace indexer fails to recognize it, like:

--cut--
module: Tree::Range::base
version: undef
in file: Tree-Range-0.21/lib/Tree/Range/base.pm
status: Not indexed because Tree-Range-0.1/lib/Tree/Range/base.pm
in O/ON/ONEGRAY/Tree-Range-0.1.tar.gz has a higher version
number (0.1)
--cut--

Do I understand it correctly that the "package PACKAGE VERSION"
form is a (relatively) recent addition to Perl and that the
version of ExtUtils::MakeMaker (or?) used at PAUSE is yet to be
updated to handle it?

TIA.

Rainer Weikusat

[...]
Do I understand it correctly that the "package PACKAGE VERSION"
form is a (relatively) recent addition to Perl

[...]

According to www.perl.org, it was added with Perl 5.12.0 (released on
2010/04/12).

Ivan Shmakov

Rainer Weikusat said:
Ivan Shmakov <[email protected]> writes: [...]
Do I understand it correctly that the "package PACKAGE VERSION" form
is a (relatively) recent addition to Perl
According to www.perl.org, it was added with Perl 5.12.0 (released on
2010/04/12).

ACK, thanks!

The "primary" Perl version of my interest is now 5.14.2 (which
is the version included in Debian 7), but unless it proves to be
too much a burden, I'd like to support older Perl versions,
going as far back as 5.10.1 (which could be found in, e. g., the
still supported Debian 6.0.)

I've thus reverted back to the use of explicit "our $VERSION"
forms in the just released Tree-Range-0.22 [1].

[1]