PDF printing

SpaceMarine

hello,

i have an application that builds up a large "incident report" for a
law enforcement agency. In the end this is represented in a large
object containing many properties and collections related to the
incident.

we now need a way to produce a PDF for printing. what are common ways
to do this?

ive seen some organizations use DataDynamic's ActiveReports for this,
whereby they create an XSL report-pdf template and an XML doc for the
content, and mash the two.

....does anybody have any good recommendations for things that easy to
work with?

thanks!
sm

George

Which, unless it has been updated since I last looked at it, doesn't
actually support printing.
????
it generate PDF.... what do you mean does not support printing? Printig is
Adobe's jobe once PDF is created...

George.

George

Mark Rae said:
Yes it does, but that's not what the OP asked...

By "support printing" I mean "contain the functionality to send a PDF to a
printer's print queue and kick off that print job automatically" - what on
earth did you think I meant...?

LOL! So someone has to constantly monitor a folder for new PDF documents
and then print them manually? That's not going to help the OP much...

There are plenty of 3rd-party PDF generation utilities which support
printing - iTextSharp doesn't...

Have no idea what are you talking about... What printer's queue. What folder
to monitor.
The way i am using it: 1. generate PDF (stream) and 2. output it to
browser....
Then user looks at pretty report in PDF format, then prints it if he likes
it or saves it to his harddrive. And as i understood this is what guy
asked... how to generate PDF report and (may be i implied since it's ASP.NET
group) to show it on client side.

No folders to monitor. Since PDF never actually made into real file. It's
written into Response stream as it generates.
Also printing becomes customer's headache. May be he does not even have
printer and he wants to email it.

PS: printing PDF is easy use this command AcroRd32.exe /p /h "filename"
But it needs to be run on client and i do not see how to do it from ASP.NET

George

Larry Bud

Printing is Adobe's jobe once PDF is created...
LOL! So someone has to constantly monitor a folder for new PDF documents and
then print them manually? That's not going to help the OP much...

There are plenty of 3rd-party PDF generation utilities which support
printing - iTextSharp doesn't...

Create the PDF, output to the browser. Adobe Reader comes up, opens
the PDF. User clicks PRINT.

Larry Bud

hello,

i have an application that builds up a large "incident report" for a
law enforcement agency. In the end this is represented in a large
object containing many properties and collections related to the
incident.

we now need a way to produce a PDF for printing. what are common ways
to do this?

ive seen some organizations use DataDynamic's ActiveReports for this,
whereby they create an XSL report-pdf template and an XML doc for the
content, and mash the two.

...does anybody have any good recommendations for things that easy to
work with?

Have you tried the Microsoft ReportViewer control?

While I've only used it for repeating data, no reason that it can't be
a full form that fields are pulled from a db.

ansar

Hi i have a grid in which pay advices are shown. and these are in pdf format and the requirement here is to print these pay advices without using ghostscript . and not showing a popup in which we will get when we use acrobat dlls . Itext sharp was also useless because it doesnot have direct method to print you need to create a document and u need to print . Can any one provide me a solution
There is pretty good free library iTextSharp with a lot of examples.

George.
On Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:52 AM Mark Rae [MVP] wrote:
Which, unless it has been updated since I last looked at it, does not
actually support printing.

And they do not even have a v2.0 version yet...