PEP 378: Format Specifier for Thousands Separator

Carlos Nepomuceno

Is there a way to format integers with thousands separator (digit grouping)like the format specifier of str.format()?

I'm currently using the following:
Number = 12,345

'x' is unsigned integer so it's like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

I'd like to have something like:

sys.stdout.write('Number = %,u\n' % x)

Is that possible? How can I do it if not already available?