PEP 405 vs 370

Damjan Georgievski

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0405/

I don't get what PEP 405 (Python Virtual Environments) brings vs what we
already had in PEP 370 since Python 2.6.

Obviously 405 has a tool to create virtual environments, but that's
trivial for PEP 370 [1], and has support for isolation from the
system-wide site patch which could've been added in addition to PEP 370.

So maybe I'm missing something?

[1]
PYTHONUSERBASE=~/my-py-venv pip install --user Whatever
will create ~/my-py-venv and everything under it as needed

PYTHONUSERBASE=~/my-py-venv python setup.py install --user
the same without pip

Damjan Georgievski

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0405/
I don't get what PEP 405 (Python Virtual Environments) brings vs what we
already had in PEP 370 since Python 2.6.

Obviously 405 has a tool to create virtual environments, but that's
trivial for PEP 370 [1], and has support for isolation from the
system-wide site patch which could've been added in addition to PEP 370.

So maybe I'm missing something?
My PEP 370 is about installing additional packages as an unprivileged
user and for the current user. It's a simplistic approach that just
adds one more site-package directory in the user's home directory.

well you can have and activate several different directories (venvs)
with PYTHONUSERBASE. I do use that very nicely, and haven't seen any
problems with that.

PEP 405 is a different beast. It adds support for isolated environment
that don't share state with the site wide installation. A user can
have multiple virtual envs and install different sets of packages in
each env.

Wouldn't it be easier to just add isolation to 370?
Again, you can have multiple virtual envs with 370 too.

ps.
sorry for the late response, it seems my NNTP server doesn't relay all
messages. I might need to switch.