perfect hashing

macluvitch

hello folks,

do you have any idea how gperf generates the numeric table ?
I know that it uses perfect hashing for speeding up look up.

any link, trick will be really very appreciated

thanks in advance

Keith Thompson

macluvitch said:
do you have any idea how gperf generates the numeric table ?
I know that it uses perfect hashing for speeding up look up.

No, I don't.

gperf is implemented in C++, not in C, so your question is off-topic
in comp.lang.c. It's also off-topic in comp.lang.c++, which is for
questions about the C++ language, not for questions about particular
programs that happen to be implemented in C++.

<OT>
gperf is a GNU utility. You can obtain the sources from ftp.gnu.org,
among other places; the sources should certainly answer any questions
you might have if you have sufficient skill and patience. The package
also includes some documentation, which may or may not answer your
questions about its internal workings.

If you still have questions after looking at the sources and
documentation, a Google search for "gperf" might or might not be
fruitful. Failing that, the appropriate newsgroup is probably
gnu.utils.help.
</OT>

macluvitch

If I had enough time to get a look at it code source I wouldn't post such
a message .

thank you in any case.

Mark McIntyre

If I had enough time to get a look at it code source I wouldn't post such
a message .

There's two possibilities:

1) you're lazy
2) you are bad at time management

Either way, its a bit absurd to expect CLC to answer a non-C question for
you.