Performance of code compiled with the g++

Discussion in 'C++' started by Wojciech Waga, Aug 24, 2011.

  1. I was trying to test some performance gains of move semantics when I
    came across a strange thing, namely:

    For a code:
    http://pastebin.com/3jqgyc8v

    (There is a copy constructor to prevent gcc4.6 from using default move
    constructor which speeds up things greatly, but is of no interest here.)

    The speed of resulting binary differs vastly among versions of gcc. It
    seems like gcc<4.5 gives pretty good binary, and gcc>=4.5 does not.
    Intel compiler 12.0.0 gives results similar to gcc<4.5.

    For those who prefer bare values:
    The same code compiled with:
    gcc4.4.6 runs 0.47s
    gcc4.6.1 runs 1.73s

    A full plot comparing 3 versions of gcc with std= c++98/c++0x is here:
    http://www.wojek.net/ww/gcc_speed.png

    Does anyone know what is wrong? Especially the difference between gcc4.6
    with and without c++0x is interesting. Can be there any c++0x
    optimisations in library routines for this code?

    Best regards,
    Wojciech Waga

    Wojciech Waga, Aug 24, 2011

  2. You mean, besides the fact that GCC is community-based (meaning
    everybody, but in fact *nobody*, is responsible for the functionality or
    the performance)?
    Nah... Optimisation? In the library routines?... Nah...

    Could be that gcc C++0x is smart enough to see that your code has very
    little side effect (no I/O to speak of) and it figures to let you down
    easy and just puts some 'usleep' calls in there, just to keep you guessing?

    Use a profiler and figure out where the differences are. Then look at
    the machine code, if you're into it. But usually you should see all of
    that in the source. It's not like your program is so complex that its
    total source (including allocators and sorting) would be too hard to
    comprehend.

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 24, 2011

  3. Wojciech Waga

    Edek Guest

    You might want to try here:

    Edek

    Edek, Aug 24, 2011
  4. *I* don't have any complaints - I haven't used that software for years
    to have an up-to-date opinion. The OP has a complaint, apparently. Ask
    him, maybe.

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 24, 2011