Performance problem on SunOS 5.8

kielhd

Hi NG,
I am running a script doing some calculations on a SunOS box. It takes
about 11hrs to finish.
When running the same script on WinNT, it takes only 7min!
I was very surprised about WinNT being app. 100 times faster then
SunOS and compared the results. The results are the same, so the
script is working well on both machines.
I am using perl v5.8.0 and the module Net::Netmask on both machines.

Could somebody please explain this to me or - even better - give me a
hint of how to improve the performance on SunOS.

Best rgds from rainy germany
Henning

Uri Guttman

k> I am running a script doing some calculations on a SunOS box. It takes
k> about 11hrs to finish.
k> When running the same script on WinNT, it takes only 7min!

that makes little sense.

k> Could somebody please explain this to me or - even better - give me a
k> hint of how to improve the performance on SunOS.

delete line 42. it is the slow one.

uri

Tintin

kielhd said:
Hi NG,
I am running a script doing some calculations on a SunOS box. It takes
about 11hrs to finish.
When running the same script on WinNT, it takes only 7min!
I was very surprised about WinNT being app. 100 times faster then
SunOS and compared the results. The results are the same, so the
script is working well on both machines.
I am using perl v5.8.0 and the module Net::Netmask on both machines.

Could somebody please explain this to me or - even better - give me a
hint of how to improve the performance on SunOS.

Invoking the devine ESP function of Perl......

Are you doing any DNS lookups at all?

If not, how do you seriously expect anyone to have an idea without showing
any code or snippet.

Eric J. Roode

Juha Laiho

(e-mail address removed) (kielhd) said:
I am running a script doing some calculations on a SunOS box. It takes
about 11hrs to finish.
When running the same script on WinNT, it takes only 7min!

Adding to the other requests, you're not giving any info on what
hardware you're on. I believe I could find a WinNT environment that
runs at a fraction of the speed of the WinNT environment you have,
and perhaps also a WinNT environment twice as fast as you have.
Of course, _if_ these results were obtained on the same hardware
(doesn't seem so), it's a different issue.

James Willmore

On 23 Nov 2003 23:06:23 -0800
Hi NG,
I am running a script doing some calculations on a SunOS box. It
takes about 11hrs to finish.
When running the same script on WinNT, it takes only 7min!
I was very surprised about WinNT being app. 100 times faster then
SunOS and compared the results. The results are the same, so the
script is working well on both machines.
I am using perl v5.8.0 and the module Net::Netmask on both machines.

Could somebody please explain this to me or - even better - give me
a hint of how to improve the performance on SunOS.

Best rgds from rainy germany
Henning

Code would be helpful :)

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
'I believe in getting into hot water; it keeps you clean." --
G. K. Chesterton