Perl Module XML::Reader

Klaus

Hi everybody,

For those who use Perl to parse XML...

....I have released XML::Reader (ver 0.34)
http://search.cpan.org/~keichner/XML-Reader-0.34/lib/XML/Reader.pm

An XML document can be very large (could be many gigabytes), it is
usually composed of XML-subtrees, each of which is possibly only a few
kilobytes in size. With the Perl module XML::Reader, you can read XML-
subtrees one by one, only the memory for one subtree is held at a
time. Each subtree can then be processed further at your convenience
(for example by using Perl's regular expressions, or, by using other
XML-Modules in Perl, such as XML::Simple).

In principle, XML::Reader has no event driven callback functions, you
have to loop over the XML-document yourself and the resulting XML-
subtree is represented in text format.

Any question, suggestions, feedback are most welcome !

To explain the module, I have created a small demonstration program in
Perl that extracts XML-subtrees memory efficiently.

You can find my demonstration program at
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.modules/msg/2de63781c60d525e

Klaus

Hi everybody,

For those who use Perl to parse XML...

...I have released XML::Reader (ver 0.34)
http://search.cpan.org/~keichner/XML-Reader-0.34/lib/XML/Reader.pm

I have now released a new version of XML::Reader (ver 0.35) with some
bug fixes, warts removed, relicensing, etc...

http://search.cpan.org/~keichner/XML-Reader-0.35/lib/XML/Reader.pm

For XML::Reader ver 0.34) you could write:
my $rdr = XML::Reader->newhd(\$content, { filter => 5 },

With the new version 0.35 of XML::Reader, the same line would be
spelled:

my $rdr = XML::Reader->new(\*DATA, {mode => 'branches'});