Perl On Apache

Louis

I have a web application that at some point I would like to run a perl
script on the web server to update an excel spreadsheet on the server.

My problem is..Apache seems to be running it as a cgi script(?). It
displays the script on the browser!

Is there a way to do this? What is needed to configure Apache to run it
as a "normal" script?

Thank you.

Mirco Wahab

Louis said:
I have a web application that at some point I would like to run a perl
script on the web server to update an excel spreadsheet on the server.

My problem is: Apache seems to be running it as a cgi script(?). It
displays the script on the browser!

Is there a way to do this? What is needed to configure Apache to run it
as a "normal" script?

If you could be so kind and provide some
details regarding ...

- your operating system and version,
- your apache version and install location,
- your Perl version and install location,

.... I'm sure everybody in this news group, which
is among the most frendliest and professional
groups in the usenet world, would start to
present a matching solution fast.

Regards

M.

Jens Thoms Toerring

Louis said:
I have a web application that at some point I would like to run a perl
script on the web server to update an excel spreadsheet on the server.
My problem is..Apache seems to be running it as a cgi script(?). It
displays the script on the browser!

The output (to stdout) of a script run by Apache goes into the
page that gets returned by the server. That's what allowing a
web server to run scripts at all is meant for.
Is there a way to do this? What is needed to configure Apache to run it
as a "normal" script?

If you want to update a file when the URL associated with your
script is requested by a client then in the script open the
file you want to update and write to that file instead of
stdout. Or write a wrapper script that gets invoked instead
on a request and in this wrapper script run the first script
with its stdout redirected to the file you want to update.

Regards, Jens

Bill H

I have a web application that at some point I would like to run a perl
script on the web server to update an excel spreadsheet on the server.

My problem is..Apache seems to be running it as a cgi script(?). It
displays the script on the browser!

Is there a way to do this? What is needed to configure Apache to run it
as a "normal" script?

Thank you.

Louis - you need to enable it. Look in your httpd.conf file, either
in : /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf or in /etc/apache/httpd.conf -
For more information on this file look at www.apache.org. Curious what
instalation are you using that didnt enable perl under apache on
installation?

Bill H

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Petr said:
(My server rejects all messages from Yahoo and Hotmail.

Funny; I get almost no spam from Yahoo or Hotmail servers.

Or are you saying that you reject messages based on the faked From
addresses??

Martijn Lievaart

Funny; I get almost no spam from Yahoo or Hotmail servers.

Neither do I. But I reject all mail from hotmail, so othat figures.
Or are you saying that you reject messages based on the faked From
addresses??

I both reject any message with a hotmail "mail from" and all messages
from hotmails servers.

M4