perl report

ribinha

Hi all:
I am trying to create a report with perl, kindda like a Chrystal
report. Im using freeBSD, perl and Postgress. I need to include an RRD
graph in the report, and be able to save it as a pdf, excell sheet and
text format. I dont know if there are any modules that would best fit.
Also I wonder if anyone would have some code sample for printing the
graph to a file. I know I should use sysopen() ... But since Im new to
perl I dont know exactly how to code it and where to use it in the
code.

usenet

I am trying to create a report with perl, kindda like a Chrystal report.
I don't know what that is.
I need to include an RRD graph
I don't know what that is, either
and be able to save it as a pdf, excell sheet and text format.
I recommend you "start small" by making your script save in text
format. Once you get that working, it should not be hard to munge it to
pdf. Excel is another matter, though (will you be using OLE or
something?).
I dont know if there are any modules that would best fit.
I'm sure there are LOTS of modules on http://cpan.org. Which ones have
you looked at?
Also I wonder if anyone would have some code sample for printing the
graph to a file.
The documentation for the various modules often includes sample code.
I know I should use sysopen() ...
Maybe, maybe (probably) not.
But since Im new to perl I dont know exactly how to code it and where to
use it in the code.
perldoc -f sysopen

BTW, I recommend you peruse the posting guidelines for this newsgroup:

samwyse

ribinha said:
Hi all:
I am trying to create a report with perl, kindda like a Chrystal
report. Im using freeBSD, perl and Postgress. I need to include an RRD
graph in the report, and be able to save it as a pdf, excell sheet and
text format. I dont know if there are any modules that would best fit.
Also I wonder if anyone would have some code sample for printing the
graph to a file. I know I should use sysopen() ... But since Im new to
perl I dont know exactly how to code it and where to use it in the
code.

I know that there's a CPAN module (Spreadsheet::WriteExcel) for
creating Excel spreadsheets, but I don't recall if you can insert an
arbitrary non-MS graphic. Text obviously doesn't support graphics;
perhaps you mean HTML? I imagine that there's a way to create a PDF;
check CPAN for PDF::Create and/or ask over at the comp.text.pdf
newsgroup. To get the data out of a database, you'll need to use DBI;
http://dbi.perl.org/ is a good place to start.

All of the above was found in about ten seconds using these Google
queries:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=cpan+create+excel
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=cpan+create+pdf
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=perl+dbi

It took a bit longer to type this reply and copy/paste my findings.
Based on my usual hourly rates, you owe me $15 for this consultation.
;-)