Piping data in on the command line

James Coglan

Hello all,

I know you can get command line args using ARGV, but is there a way to use
the '<' operator to pipe data into your program, as in

ruby myprog.rb < ~/myfile.txt

Martin Boese

Just read the IO $stdin, like:

$stdin.each { |line| puts "Found: #{line}" }

The < "operator" is a shell feature that will pass the content of a file to
the programs standard input (stdin).

martin

Sandor Szücs

Just read the IO $stdin, like:

$stdin.each { |line| puts "Found: #{line}" }

The < "operator" is a shell feature that will pass the content of a =20=
file to
the programs standard input (stdin).

Maybe that's more readable, but my point wasn't the shell feature < .
cat.rb has one line:
puts *ARGF

$ ruby cat.rb < cat.rb
puts *ARGF

regards, Sandor Sz=FCcs

James Coglan

2008/7/11 Sandor Sz=FCcs said:
Maybe that's more readable, but my point wasn't the shell feature < .
cat.rb has one line:
puts *ARGF

Thank you both. If anyone is the least bit interested I'm writing myself ye=
another commandline option parser:

http://github.com/jcoglan/oyster

It's inspired by trollop, but it has some more option types and is more
easily extensible, automates a few extra things (like recognizing
--no-verbose if you've got a --verbose option for example) and it generates
slightly nicer (more man-page-like) help text.

ara.t.howard

Thank you both. If anyone is the least bit interested I'm writing
myself yet
another commandline option parser:

http://github.com/jcoglan/oyster

It's inspired by trollop, but it has some more option types and is
more
easily extensible, automates a few extra things (like recognizing
--no-verbose if you've got a --verbose option for example) and it
generates
slightly nicer (more man-page-like) help text.

you may be interested in

http://codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/main/main-2.8.1/README

http://codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/main/main-2.8.1/samples/

gem install main

the whole concept is to obviate the notion of ever parsing options

cheers.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/